Age of Steam Railroad Museum

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
My wife and I took our son, Bryan, to see Thomas the Tank Engine at one of the Day Out with Thomas events at the Age of Steam Railroad Museum in Dallas, TX the other week.

We had a few minutes before our turn to ride Thomas' train, so we went exploring around the museum. They had a lot of interesting stuff! Here are a few of the engines that they had on display.

This only scratches the surface of their collection. I recommend the museum to anyone who is in the Dallas area! The link above has contact and location information.

I'd never seen a UP Big Boy in person before. These are truely massive machines! Bryan, who just turned 5, is 46.5" tall...to give you some perspect. Here he is running alongside the tender...

Attachments

• my big boy dwarfed by a big boy.jpg
    my big boy dwarfed by a big boy.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 117

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
Kristi and Bryan standing in front of an 0-6-0 that belonged to the Port Bolivar Iron Ore Railway. The line was created to provide a link between Ore City, Texas and the Santa Fe line that ran to Port Bolivar on the Texas Gulf Coast. For more information, click here.

Attachments

• kristi and bryan - steam engine.jpg
    kristi and bryan - steam engine.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 108

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
A Fairbanks-Morse locomotive of some kind. We were in a rush (and it was raining), so I didn't have enough time to take good notes. But I do remember that this locomotive has one of those opposed-piston diesel engines.

Attachments

• txi 8900.jpg
    txi 8900.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 108

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Rory:
Do you know what the Thomas engine was originally?
For modelling purposes, can you get Bryan to wear clothes with alternating foot wide black and white stripes? It makes scaling the photographs so much easier. :D :D :D

PennRailRoads

Apr 4, 2002
Pennsylvania
Those driving wheels on the UP Big Boy are about the same height as me, I'm 5'5" and I know those wheels are huge (not to mention the whole loco). If I ever go to "Steamtown" I'm gonna check out the 4012 Big Boy that's on display there. I've always wondered how the hell they ever got that thing to Scranton cause it would've gone through a few or more tunnels to get there, not to mention tight curves and all?