Agawa Canyon Tour Train?

acsoosub

The last time I actually rode the Canyon train in 2000, we crossed the Montreal River bridge in heavy fog. You could barely see the bottom, and you couldn't see the end of the train. It was kinda neat actually. Everything just faded off into the fog.

RobertInOntario

Unfortunately you won't see any engines in AC paint anymore. The AC was absorbed by the Wisconsin Central in 1995, and all their engines became WC engines. Now CN owns the WC and by extension the AC. I was up in 2004 and mostly saw CN engines (including a GMD1 doing yard duties). A WC SD45 made a showing on the freight train from the US.
There's a Quality Inn directly across the street from the station, I think there was a second one almost beside it as well. A Holiday Inn is also nearby the station and shopping mall.
There's also a shortline railroad, the Huron Central, which runs between Sault Ste Marie and Sudbury, over the former CPR branch line. It's one freight/day each direction but I don't know the schedule.

Thanks for this info, especially about the Huron Central -- it would be great to catch glimpses of that -- as well as the hotel locations. I'm looking forward to this trip more and more! Rob

RobertInOntario

Thanks for the updated info, knew the CN had aquired them but did not know the livery was gone:nope: The most awsome part is when the train crosses the high bridge that is on top of a big dam:shock: especialy when you are at the front or the last car you can see the whole train as it goes thru the curved bridge.:cool:

That sounds great ! I normally try to find a spot in the first car right behind the engine anyway! Cheers, Rob

RobertInOntario

The only thing that would make this trip better, I think, is if it were steam-hauled! Can you imagine how awesome it would be if they used a Hudson or Pacific!?! :mrgreen: I guess it's OK to dream. Rob

Pooh Bah
Rob: the Huron Central follows the highway pretty well. The day we went by they seemed to be doing track work, so nothing was moving.