AFlyer Royal Blue Loco repair question

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by Grant B, Feb 22, 2005.

  1. Grant B

    Grant B Member

    I am Having bad luck with my 350 Royal Blue, the Valve link assembly broke.
    I managed to find a replacement at a train show but it is held on by a 'tubular rivet' and was wondering about the best way of getting the old one off and the new one on without destruction of the train?
    I was thinking of using my dremel to get the old one off and I guess I need a rivet gun for the new.
    Any special makes or models of revet guns for this kind of work ????

    Or is my best bet take it in and let a 'pro' do it?

    Thanks very much
  2. Vic

    Vic Active Member

    Grant, Here's a place that sells the tools that you need. But they are expensive.
  3. Grant B

    Grant B Member

    Thanks Vic for tip!
  4. TR-Flyer

    TR-Flyer Member

    Hi Grant:
    Rivit setting tools are expensive. But i don't know of another tool that REALLY does a proper job of it. I broke down and bought one last year so i could keep my Flyer stuff in proper working order. Contact Doug Peck at Portlines Hobby Supply or Joe Haenn at Joe's Train Repair. They both carry rivit setting tools and can help you with the selection of the proper size tool.

    I'd probably drill the rivit out in order to remove it. But use the method you are most comfortable with, the goal is just to remove it without maiming the body of the engine. you need a good backing in order to set a rivit. I have a bench vise that i use, a friend bought a rivit tool set which came with an 8 x 8 x 3/8-inch steel plate to support the work.

    Let us know how it turns out. Keep 'em rollin'!


Share This Page