AF Lines Reverse Button

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by Bob Ballantyne, Nov 10, 2005.

1. Bob Ballantyne

Bob Ballantyne New Member

Did American Flyer ever make a "reverse button?" I assume it would just he a button that opens the circuit and you'd have to push twice to reverse an engine in their S gauge rolling stock.
    If not, any suggestions?
    I have just gotten into this with the sole goal of putting two sets I have bought from circa 1951 into use.
    Bob Ballantyne
    66 year old "newbee."
  2. GeorgeHO

GeorgeHO Member

The transformer that I remember had two throttle controls. You would lift up on a throttle to break contact. There were switches on the locomotives or tenders for forward/forward, forward/reverse, and I think forward/pause/reverse. I'm not certain, that was 50 years ago.
  3. Grant B

Grant B Member

Correct, or you can turn it down to nothing and that will do the same.
    Some trains have a reverse 'switch' which can disable reverse too!
  4. TR-Flyer

TR-Flyer Member

Hi Bob B:
    Original Flyer equipment used either a four-step "E-Unit" or a two step "E-Unit" to cycle through "forward-neutral-reverse-neutral", or "forward-reverse" when using AC power. These were located in either the engine or the tender. On some transformers with the "arrow" shaped throttle you just turn the throttle to "stop" or "0" MPH to step the e-unit one step through the cycle. On other transformers there will be a button you can push to cut the current to the track and cycle the unit. On the later transformers with the "dead man" handles, big orange/red handles on a metal arm connected to a "turret", you have to lift the handle up to completely cut the current to the track. When the handles are locked down, the latter were designed to keep a volt or two going to the track even when the train was stopped, so the e-unit would not cycle. Makes starting up the train after stopping at a wayside passenger station easier for the kids. All there kinds of throttles can be found in single or double throttle versions in power ratings from something like 20 watts to 350 watts.

Flyer motors are all "universal" motors, meaning they can be run on AC or DC since they do not have permanent magnets. So that is also an option. Just disconnect the eunits and run them on DC if you prefer. It's a little easier to simulate "realistic" operations this way since you don't have to "cycle" the eunits. Also, teh e'units can be a bit fussy to get and keep operating properly. But it can be done.