Aero Engine search

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by cdavenport, Nov 15, 2007.

1. cdavenport

cdavenport Member

I am looking for either downloads or kits that feature detailed aero engines, specifically a Daimler-Benz DB 603 or 605 (I have the 601 already) and a PW-R2800. Preferred scales are 1/48 and 1/33 or thereabouts. I can always resize a file.

Your recommendations are greatly appreciated!
  2. dansls1

dansls1 Member

The recent DB601 (and the DB601 that came with the latest Model-Hobby BF109T) seem to be some of the rare examples of aircraft piston engines developed for paper modelling. Given the warm reaction they seem to be receiving, I'm hoping that going forward we'll see more of these covering the spectrum of oft-used piston engines. In short, I doubt what you are looking for exists but I'm hopeful it will in the near future ;)
  3. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

If I recall correctly, I've seen some very nice radial and rotary engines here.

A Merlin would be a nice thing.

4. cdavenport

cdavenport Member

AEro engines

Rick, did you intend to add a link or a website to your observation? And, you are right. A Merlin would be very nice, indeed!

5. sjsquirrel

sjsquirrel Member

Here you go

The ones you refer to are probably the excellent engines designed by Richard Schulten. They can be found here.
  6. cdavenport

cdavenport Member

Thanks for that link!
  7. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Aircraft Engines; Mercedes D.IIIa

Hello cdavenport,

There is also this excellent and very detailed Mercedes D.IIIa four-cylinder inline engine model, in 1:33 scale. This engine is of the type that was used in for example the Fokker D.VII fighter. This model used to be hosted at Roman Seißler´s (our member "morewings", by the way) excellent triplane modeling site but it´s not found there anymore.

I have it saved in my hard drive, so here it is (below):

All the best,
    Bengt :thumb:

Attached Files:

8. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Upload Failure

Hmmm . . .

It seems that some of the German letters caused an upload problem - I´ll try again:

Attached Files:

9. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Mercedes Aircraft Engine Model Download

OK, cdavenport,

Here´s what you do - hold down the control button and save the pdf to your hard drive. Then, you´ll get the whole model file.

PS: By the way, it is of course a SIX-cylinder inline engine . . .
  10. cdavenport

cdavenport Member

Many thanks for that download! And what a model, too. Geez, I am going to go nuts trying to build the airplanes to display these engines in! But, what a way to go!
  11. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Mercedes Aircraft Engine Model Download

Hi CT,

I´m glad you liked it. That model is a great exercise for your eyes and fingers! And so are Richard´s fine rotary engines - a lot of cylinder rolling there. But they look so nice when they are done.
    They go together well with your Sopwiths, Nieuports, or Fokker fighters.

Good luck!

All the best,
  12. Gil

Gil Active Member

Prior R-1820 Work

This image was taken in May 2005. A not quite complete Wright R-1820 for the long term B-17G project.

13. cdavenport

cdavenport Member

That's a piece of work. How did you execute the collector ring?
    Also, is it "legal" or acceptable to use other materials other than paper?
    Thanks for the pic. Makes me want to jump in there!
  14. Gil

Gil Active Member

Collector Ring et al...,

The collector ring is made from tightly rolled vellum using a piece of #18 copper wire as an armature. Coating the armature with bees wax before rolling allows the piece to be formed into different shapes prior to it being soaked with instrument lacquer. Once dry the armature piece is removed. The individual feeds are made in the same way from straight sections followed by attachment to the main ring.
    Push rods are made from steel florists wire stretched to the rupture point. It was then sanded with fine sandpaper and blued black with gun blue before cutting to length and mounting.
    All the rest is paper. Scale is 1:33...,

Wire qualifies as an acceptable component for card models.

15. cdavenport

cdavenport Member

Thank you for that technique. I don't think I would have thought of approaching the construction that way. I just so happens I have a bottle of instrument lacquer.

I was thinking of doing something similar with liquid starch. But, I think your approach has much more merit because lacquer as a greater degree of stiffness, is not a solvent of cellulose fibers, and can be sanded.
  16. morewings

morewings New Member

Aero Engines WWI

the WWI Aero-Engines in 1/33, a pilot-figure of the german 'Fliegertruppe',
    a tent hangar and some other supplies are again available on my website.
    Home - Paperwarbirds.

Attached Files:

17. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

1:33 Scale WWI Aircraft Engine Models

Thank you, Roman,

This is very good news -now some of the best 1:33 scale engines can be found in one place again. The tenthanger is also a great model (with a sheet for backside printing!)

Direct link: -Engines WWI - Paperwarbirds

All the best,