Aerial- courtesy of MapQuest

MCL_RDG

Dec 8, 2002
S.E.PA.
Visit site
I'm sure this has been covered before.

If not- At mapquest.com you can map an address and all that neat stuff.

You can also view the area as an aerial photograph.

I pieced together a couple of shots of Bethlehem Steel, Bethlehem, PA. They're getting ready to plow over and under what still stands.

You can zoom in enough to distinguish individual rail cars. I only loaded the 3rd zoom pics- there are 2, more closer. It's just real kewl to play this way! I actually panned and swiped all the pics from West Chew Street, Allentown, PA and just kept "clicking" my way east and saved the pics as they overlapped. There's way too much "stuff" in the aerial- Lehigh Valley Station, Beth Steel, CNJ, Reading- could ya tell from this shot?

Mark

Attachments

• airbeths.jpg
    airbeths.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 160

MCL_RDG

Dec 8, 2002
S.E.PA.
Visit site
The USS New Jersey...

...can be found looking around Camden, NJ.

I've found alot of interesting things doing some interesting (?) web surfing- perhaps I have too much time on my hands or just not enough money in muh pockets.

;)

P

philip

Matt: Thanks for posting this thread. This will be very helpful!

Philip:cool:

MCL_RDG

Dec 8, 2002
S.E.PA.
Visit site
Yeah, flying kites.

One of the simpler joys/cheap thrills I get is flying $1 drugstore kits. The cornier the graphics- the better! I usually go out and get a few when they put out the displays early spring/summer. I do it on whim and quite frankly- the flying field has 100' tall trees that I have been trying for 3 years to get above to "really" take to the wind.

Most of the kites end uP stuck in the trees (Poor 'ole Charlie Brown).:(

Mark

grumbeast

Jan 13, 2003
Dartmouth, N.S. Canada
www.accesswave.ca
Mark,

You should try a cheap dual line stunt kite, you'll be hooked
and then its a wonderfully slippery slope to kites that'll pull
your arms off if you're note careful! :) :)

I fly simple kites too, A friend made me a Hata fighter kite
from paper, it was a blast to fly..

now all I need to do is find a flying field next to a mainline
and I'll be sorted!

Graham

MCL_RDG

Dec 8, 2002
S.E.PA.
Visit site
30th Street Station, Philadelphia, PA

Here's 30th Street Station- still a mega-station in this day of dwindling passenger service.

Mark

BTW- just noticed- isn't that an interesting yard lead- curved like so many modelers have to contend with- now I don't feel so bad about having that curved lead.

Attachments

• 30thst.jpg
    30thst.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 58

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
Nice shot of the 30th street station Mark. Most real railroads had to contend with what us modellers do too.
On the kite topic. A young friend of mine was flying a two line kite that looked like these new parachutes. It was a windy day and when he dived the kite then came straight up, the force lifted him into the air and pulled him forward to land about ten feet from where he started. Keeping this up, he moved right across the field in these giant leaps. Great fun