Advice re-Mini-Multi tools?

Discussion in 'FAQs' started by narrowlines, Apr 23, 2004.

1. narrowlines

narrowlines New Member

Hi everyone,

Would really appreciate some advice/tips. re-Which multi-tools are considered best?
    Im an English guy,now living in Norway,thought it was about time after 40+ years armchair modelling, to at least begin to put together a recommended tool list!

On the Mini-tool front: i have looked at several makes,including the DREMEL... but have recently being impressed by the PROXXON range from germany.looks well engineered, maybe better value than DREMEL? some of the PROXXON sets,which include all the main items i.e. drill/drill stand/transformer/tools e.t.c.

Im not a modeller,as yet? so advice valued. do i go for 12volt or mains?? in whichever model i choose. even im not sure as to what uses the tools will be put, but as long as whichever tool,is up to a variety of layout jobs,including presumably some fine work, i.e. slow drilling/cutting.......... that`s fine...

I have received some good advice,already on a variety of hand tools,but if anyone as a suggested list of must have`s in my tool kit then that would be very helpful,and particulary what makes?

look forward to hearing from some of you..

all the best and thanks

2. Clerk

Clerk Active Member

Hi Steve. Welcome aboard.
    I have two types of drills.
    1. Minicraft. It has a external transformer with speed control. But, is very bulky and hard to keep carrying it around and finding places to put in on my layout.
    2. Dremel. It is battery operated with a charger, two speed, and very portable. I can set it down anyplace.

Both drills take the same bits, cutters, grinders, polishers, ect,

I use the Dremel abouit 95 percent of the time except if I need real slow speed. Then I go to the Minicraft.

This is the first I have heard of the PROXXON and have never seen it here in the states.
    Hope I have been some help :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
  3. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

Hi Steve.
    I have a 25 to 30 year old Dremel. I'm not sure if the modern Dremels are quite as good.
    Make sure the tool you get will take a flexible shaft. This is a lot less mass than holding a whole motor tool in your hand, and lets you work closer to a lot of projects.
  4. narrowlines

narrowlines New Member

Which Mini-Drill ?

Hi Clerk & Dave,
    Thanks very much indeed, for your most helpful advice, much appreciated....

The only reason i have not gone Dremel yet,is i thought i would explore the alternatives...
    I did short list Dremel/Minicraft/ a British one& Proxxon. I liked the look of the whole Proxxon range,got the catalogue e.t.c.the speed range is also controlable from 5000 to 20,000,they have a flexi shaft and foot pedal. in both 12volt and 220-240 mains.
    which do you think is best overhaul, mains or 12 volt?

Is 5000 still a bit to quick,at the lower end?for the delicate stuff... does the foot pedal make any difference. i will be making a choice soon.but no hurry,like to get it right from the off.

Thanks guys nice of you to help.

cheers Steve
  5. RailRon

RailRon Active Member

Hi Steve,

first of all welcome to the Gauge - it's fine to see one more European online! :D

Now about the minitools: I am using PROXXON tools and I am VERY pleased by their performance. The quality of their MICROMOT-tool line is outstanding. The small handheld drill-grinders run very quietly and it's a joy to work with them.

220 Volt or 12 Volt? I prefer the 220 Volt version - needing no transformer means that there is exactly one thing less on my (always too cluttered) workbench. The power output of the 220 V version is about double of the 12 V model, but for our needs I think both will have power enough. So this is perhaps more a thing of personal preference.
    However, there might be a difference when you use a cutting disc to cut off the cable and then touch the bare wire! 12V vs. 220 V - WOW! :eek: :D :eek: :D :p

The speed range of 5000-20.000 rpm is just fine. The lower end of 5000 isn't a problem for delicate work, when you remember to touch the object only lightly and for a short time. (It's the heat buildup from too much pressure for too long, that destroys e.g. fine plastic parts when grinding down some details. )

Another argument for me (which might be just the reverse for our friends overseas in USA and Canada, though) for PROXXON and against Dremel was the price - at least here in Switzerland Dremel is notably more expensive.

And finally I just love the attractive design and coloring of these tools. :thumb:

6. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

On my Dremel, there is a warning about not forcing the tool; "let the speed do the work".
    We have a couple of store brands over here that look like the new Dremel model; I can't say I've been impressed by them. I don't know the other brands you listed.
  7. Lightbender

Lightbender Member

Being in the trade I have a number of jewellery tools that are quite handy for MRR use. The flex shaft machine of choice in the trade is the Foredom. This tool is faster, more powerful, smoother and more reliable that a Dremel and the price shows it. The more finicky your needs the more attractive this tool will look. The battery powered Dremel's portability may negate these advantages.
  8. narrowlines

narrowlines New Member

mini tool response

Thanks Tony,
    your post reply was much appreciated, I had looked at the fordom.but quite a bit out of my price range, but it certainly exudes quality, and i can see why many proffesionals would use it
    read some excellent reviews on it.
    I have decided to go for the Proxxon, range... very impressed with this German companies products, and feed back..and the tools look real quality..and terrific value.

so thanks my friend,
    will wish you all the very best for now.

regards Steve:wave: