Advice please

Discussion in 'RC Offroad Forum' started by Skandranon, May 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skandranon

Skandranon Member

I am getting my first rc car soon. I am thinking about getting the smartech 10341T3 1/10 Scale R/C 4-WD Nitro Off-Road Buggy. Can anyone tell me if this is a good buggy? It comes with a 6 month warranty on engine and electronics.

FULLY ASSEMBLED SINGLE PLATE CHASSIS
    2 CHANNEL PISTOL STYLE RADIO W/SERVOS
    ULTRA STIFF 2MM ALUMINUM CHASSIS
    .15 SIZE RACING ENGINE
    4 WHEEL DRIVE RACING SHAFT SYSTEM
    FULL BALL BEARINGS ALL AROUND
    SLIDE CARBURETOR WITH PULL STARTER
    TUNED MUFFLER
    MATCHING AIR FILTER
    TREADED TIRES FOR RACING
    OIL FILLED RACING DAMPER SUSPENSION
    DIFFERENTIALS FRONT/REAR BEVEL GEARS
    DOUBLE WISHBONE SUSPENSION ARMS
    ADJUSTABLE SUSPENSION ARM WIDTH
    DISC BRAKING SYSTEM

In detail here : http://www.excelhobby.com/excel_hobby_006.htm

I dont realy know anything about these cars. I just want something decent without spending a fortune. This is gonna run about $200. RTR is says. Can anyone tell me if this a decent car? I dont want to have to fix something all the time. Thank you!
  2. monsterrcbuilder04

monsterrcbuilder04 Active Member

from what i ahve heard they suck but i havnt driven one before. alisar says he is constantly fixing his so he sold it
  3. Skandranon

Skandranon Member

Anyone else know anything about smartech? I dont want to not buy one cause one person had a problem with it. If they were really that bad surely someone else would know about it right?
  4. Steve M

Steve M Member

Since this will be your 1st R/C car and you know nothing about them I do not recommend buying nitro and worse yet a 4WD vehicle. Operating a nitro car takes skill in tuning the motor and in maintenance. A 4WD transmission further complicates matters as there are lots of moving parts to watch over.

If you want something to play with in your backyard or at the local park the I suggest you consider an electric truck. Electric can be run almost anywhere and are virtually silent. No complaints from neighbours! They also work at the click of a switch and you never have to worry about fussy nitro motors. They are also cleaner and won't drip oil, fuel or whatever on your carpets like a nitro vehicle will.

With new models coming out all the time you can usually find a great deal on an older version of the latest offering. Brand names are important as finding parts for an obscure brand can be very painfull. Online shops tend to sell complete kits but often don't carry any parts in support of these kits.

Having said all that, I suggest you check locally for kits from Associated and/or Losi. I had an Associated T3 truck in the past and found it to be virtually bullet proof. Parts are avaiable everywhere and if you want to upgrade then there are loads of options you can buy. The latest version of this truck is the T4 so deals can be had on new but old stock of the T3 version.

If you insist on nitro then look at the Associated RC10GT. This truck is still Associated's latest offering but it can be had in several versions from RTR (with radio and everything) right to Factory Team kits. There is a whole industry built around providing hop-ups for this truck and as it is a 2WD the maintenance is fairly simple. These trucks are very fast but extremely durable.

The same can be said of the Losi XXXT electric truck and the Losi XXXNT nitro truck.
  5. Skandranon

Skandranon Member

I had a cheap eletric car when I was a kid. It was #@$% . The eletric cars I saw at the hobbby shop cost as much as I can get a nitro for online. I want something fast. None of the eletric cars seem to know how fast they will go or if they do they dont say. I am going to look around at the car you sujested. 2WD seems alot less fun to me though. Then again maybe you are right. On the other hand if I get an eletric cause I dont know how to tune a nitro, then I will never learn. Thanks in any case!
  6. Steve M

Steve M Member

If you must have a 4WD nitro vehicle, then I suggest you check out the Traxxas T-Maxx or better yet the new Traxxas Revo which is the very latest monster 4WD truck. This truck has fabulous support and like the ones I mentioned before there is an entire industry making goodies for the T-Maxx. It even has a built-in electric starting system which makes nitro child's play.
  7. Skandranon

Skandranon Member

Is there any buggys you would recomend? I just checked out both the T-Maxx and the Traxxas Revo and they are way out of my price range. $300-$400 or more. I cant spend that much on a toy. The buggys all seem to be cheaper than the trucks is why I ask.
  8. Steve M

Steve M Member

There are a few nitro buggies such as the ones from Kyosho and Duratrax if I remember correctly, but these need groomed tracks to run on as they don't have the ground clearance a truck will have. They'll probably be as expensive as the trucks anyway and if you ever want to race at the local track they most likely won't have a class for you to run these in.
  9. Skandranon

Skandranon Member

Thank you for all of your help! I have spent hours and hours looking at trucks and buggys online. I have found this eletric truck for what seems like a good price. Would you mind telling me what you think of the the truck below? This is alot of money for me and I dont want to get stuck with something that isnt much fun or breaks alot because I wont be able to get another any time soon.

Megatech 1/10 Scale Tempest Gladiator 4-Wheel Drive NITRO RC Truck MTC7805 T6 aluminum chassis
    Loratech™ composite suspension and chassis components
    Shaft drive w/ adjustable 2 speed transmission with Delrin gears
    Heavy-duty hard anodized aluminum adjustable oil-filled shocks w/ powdered coated springs
    Fully ball-bearings equipped
    Adjustable front and rear anti-roll bars
    Factory-Installed high polished aluminum tuned NEO™ exhaust system
    Adjustable turnbuckles and steering links
    Adjustable camber, castor, tow-in and ride height
    Fully mounted & glued off-road monster truck tires
    Pre-installed 1+ HP M-16 that features:
    * True ABC (chrome) high performance piston/sleeve technology
    * Dual ball bearing supported crankshaft
    * Competition twin-needle slide carburetor
    Installed 2-channel pistol grip radio system

Specifications

MFG Stock Number: MTC7805
    Hull Length: 15.375 in. (390 mm)
    Height: 9 in. (228 mm)
    Weight: 55 oz. (1.54 kg)
    Wheelbase: 10.18 in. (258 mm)
    Engine: M-16
    Speed: 45 MPH (72 kph)
  10. Steve M

Steve M Member

My recommendation of Associated or Losi nitro trucks still stands as your best bet to suceed. The products from Megatech, Smartech, GM Racing, Ofna, Venom Racing and maybe even Duratrax to name but a few are probably fine but getting replacement parts will most likely lead you back to the manufacturer rather than your local hobby shop. I prefer to walk into a local hobby shop and buy my parts right off the wall.

This truck looks nice and it boils down to what you prefer.
  11. alisar70

alisar70 Member

I ADVICE U NOT TO GET THIS PEICE OF CRAP

ITS SMARTECH

DONT GET ANYTHINK SMARTECH

PLEASE DONT ASK Y........... IVE HAD 1 ALLREADY

BROKE IN 2 DAYS
  12. TCable

TCable Member

If it's price, then you could look at tower hobbies st-15. It isn't the greatest truck, but it is good for the price.
    http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXVH99**&P=ML
    I believe Tower Hobbies has a good reputation and will stand behind their products.

The cheapest 4WD buggy kit that I could find that still was decent quality was the Kyosho TR15.
    http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXVB99&P=7

Also, I really wanted a kit, so I could build the vehicle, which is why I chose the TR15. If you don't want to build the car almost from scratch, then you should look for RTR (Ready to Run).
  13. pimp

pimp Active Member

good truck crappy radio
  14. redheat

redheat Member

If your already conserned about spending money than forget about getting into this hobby because it is not cheap. Have you done any research on the cost of parts ,fuel, plugs ..... 300 bux well barely get you in a truck let alone all the other stuff youll need to operate your truck believe me I no I've got 6 of them . If you can afford it get a good truck AE,Traxxas list goes on . See what your lhs supports as far as parts and servce . Ask questions .
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.