Adhesives Errata

George D

Aug 28, 2003
Yorktown, VA
Visit site
You can use a water base contact cement to glue paper to plastic if it's a small piece of paper. The problem I've run into is that when paper gets wet, it wrinkles, so I'm stumped for an answer for larger pieces of paper. :mad:

I'm anxious to hear the replies to this question.

George

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
I would try a spray adhesive, like 3M. Spray both pieces then join together while still tacky. The 3M stuff isn't cheap, about $15 for a large can, but it works better than any other that I've used.

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi ,
Use what we call in the UK "EVO stick" or "Bostic" both are contact adhesive's
shamus

F

Fred_M

I use clear automotive RTV silicone to glue paper products to plastic/ wood /metal when wrinkling is a problem. Works great if given time to set. The paper will rip before the glue joint gives. FRED

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Power Poxy Sticks-On Contact All Purpose Adhesive (The Increadible Flexible Crystal Clear Formula) :D :D :D Although I've not tried it on larger areas, it is not water based, and does not attack plastic. A thin coat on the plastic first should do, then stick on the paper. If I were doing a really large area, I would just use good old rubber cement.

If wrinking is still a problem, with any of the suggested adhesives, perhaps use of heavy matt photo paper would prevent the pruney look.

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Plain old rubber cement will glue cardboard to plastic. Coat both pieces to be joined with the cement, allow them to tack up and press them together.

F

Fred_M

Hasn't anyone but me had trouble with rubber cement joints failing after a few years? The cement turns to a white dust and the parts fall apart. FRED

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Originally posted by dash10
Hasn't anyone but me had trouble with rubber cement joints failing after a few years? The cement turns to a white dust and the parts fall apart. FRED
Fred,

Yep, I've had advertising stuff fall apart and off the wall, especially if the media was cardboard. I still have about half a gallon of the stuff I haven't touched in well over ten years because of that. Great for short term and temporary holding jobs though.