Adding sound fx

Dan McDonald

Sep 21, 2006
Miramichi, NB
Hey guys, I'm getting back into model RR'ing after YEARS away from it, I was into this as a kid with the model power and tyco stuff, I still have it all and I'm using it to make a 4x8 layout for my son. Just something basic to get him into it..
I'm also planing a large layout of my own. I'd love to have sounds for it. Nothing extreme but if I had the whistles and effects(like the Lionel trains) I'd be very happy!
Planning to run 1 maybe 2 trains at one time on my layout. I've read a little on DCC but I have no real idea how it works. I am unforunatley on a budget

Any suggestions would be great. I could use links to where to find these items also.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Dan,

Welcome!

For info on DCC, take a look at the first thread in the DCC forum - it is full of links to useful info. One of the better descriptions I have found is at www.railwaybob.com.

However, you don't have to go to DCC to get sound. There are a growing number of locos that can run on DC with sound. There are also a number of external sound units that you can install under or around the layout that produce the appropriate noise!

Andrew

Dan McDonald

Sep 21, 2006
Miramichi, NB
Thanks Andrew
I checked out the DCC and found some good info, didn't see anything about DC engines with sound, I'll keep looking.
I did however find a seperate sound unit, called the MRC Soundmaster 210. Might serve my purposes well for my simple 4x8.

I can definately see myself into DCC running multiple trains when I do a room this spring..:thumb: