Adding sound fx

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by Dan McDonald, Sep 23, 2006.

1. Dan McDonald

Dan McDonald New Member

Hey guys, I'm getting back into model RR'ing after YEARS away from it, I was into this as a kid with the model power and tyco stuff, I still have it all and I'm using it to make a 4x8 layout for my son. Just something basic to get him into it..
    I'm also planing a large layout of my own. I'd love to have sounds for it. Nothing extreme but if I had the whistles and effects(like the Lionel trains) I'd be very happy!
    Planning to run 1 maybe 2 trains at one time on my layout. I've read a little on DCC but I have no real idea how it works. I am unforunatley on a budget

Any suggestions would be great. I could use links to where to find these items also.
  2. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

For info on DCC, take a look at the first thread in the DCC forum - it is full of links to useful info. One of the better descriptions I have found is at

However, you don't have to go to DCC to get sound. There are a growing number of locos that can run on DC with sound. There are also a number of external sound units that you can install under or around the layout that produce the appropriate noise!

3. Dan McDonald

Dan McDonald New Member

Thanks Andrew
    I checked out the DCC and found some good info, didn't see anything about DC engines with sound, I'll keep looking.
    I did however find a seperate sound unit, called the MRC Soundmaster 210. Might serve my purposes well for my simple 4x8.

I can definately see myself into DCC running multiple trains when I do a room this spring..:thumb:
  4. yellowlynn

yellowlynn Member

I only have one, a P2K GP-9. All I have is DC, and it sounds beautiful. If I wasn't so overloaded with locos now, I'd have more of them.