Adding Digitrax PM42 or booster for Digitrax Super Chief?

Discussion in 'DCC & Electronics' started by ravig, Jun 9, 2005.

1. ravig

ravig New Member

I am a novice to this wonderful and engaging hobby; so pardon my disconnects, if any, in this post.
    I got into DCC with a Bachmann E-Z Command for HO scale. After a few weeks, I started evaluating more sophisticated DCC systems. Then I plunged right into getting the Digitrax Super Chief 8A. I then began converting my analog locos to DCC by installing decoders (this phase is still ongoing). The Digitrax reacts quickly to shorts and shuts down immediately and resuming automatically once the short is remove. I am now thinking if Digitrax Power Manager PM42 would be a prudent choice: It would allow me to partition my layout into 4 sections and power them separately from the PM42. It is not clear to me if
    * the PM42 is a better choice now for my oval track as I am still working up my skills and later go for a booster once I feel comfortable that I have learnt the ropes OR
    * get a booster as I will be shifting gears to designing my layout by next month and I plan to have a reversing layout.

Any thoughts, your experiences with PM42 will be greatly appreciated.

-- ravi