Addicted to Geeps?

Seaboard

Dec 14, 2006
Conyers GA.
tetters said:
Just to set the record straight. I started this thread as joke. I probably won't buy anymore. (...well maybe just one more...) I'm just having some fun with you all. Thanks for all of the replies gents. You've been great.

Dagum! You had everyone riled up there for a second, Even me!sign1 You got everybody on this one!:D Lol
Nice Joke Dude!!:D :D :D

Relic

Nov 6, 2005
Nova Scotia
Tetters
I also too am a GPaholic, but they gotta be long hood ahead. I'm torn between black/orange and green/gold,lucky for me I'm mid '60's so I can run both.
Next show I go to{can't afford anything new}I might try an old four axel Alco,just to see what will happen{bolts of lightning,stuff like that}

tetters

Rail Spiking Fool!
Jan 21, 2005
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
cn nutbar said:
hi tetters---as a fellow canadian,i can appreciate both cn's and cp's colour schemes ,but i can't resist these gp's

doctorwayne2007011.jpg

That is one sharp lookin lady you've got there. Nice layout too. Is that a Proto 2000 Gp? If so where did you get the bell? I haven't looked closely enough but did it come in the bag of spare parts with the sunscreens and the winter cover? I'd love to put the bells on mine if they come in the kits.

Thanks,

Shane

tetters

Rail Spiking Fool!
Jan 21, 2005
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Triplex said:
Both CP and CN still have rebuilt GP9s.

I was waiting for the Mighty Triplex to post up! :D

Thanks. It is encouraging to know that bit of info. The more read about how many are still in service to this day (albiet rebuilt and modified) is pretty neat. I am glad I decided to persue and model around such a solid design in loco history. :thumb:

cn nutbar

Dec 4, 2005
hi shane---yes 4822 is a p2k model that i picked up at the ancaster train show last year---the bell was an on the model when i bought it---i believe it's from MINIATURES BY ERIC ---you can find the web site through a google search
the layout is Doctor Wayne's---you may want to check both the gallery and the forum for more pictures of doctor wayne's outstanding work---happy railroading

tetters

Rail Spiking Fool!
Jan 21, 2005
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
cn nutbar said:
hi shane---yes 4822 is a p2k model that i picked up at the ancaster train show last year---the bell was an on the model when i bought it---i believe it's from MINIATURES BY ERIC ---you can find the web site through a google search
the layout is Doctor Wayne's---you may want to check both the gallery and the forum for more pictures of doctor wayne's outstanding work---happy railroading

Thanks for the info. And yes...I recognized the good Doctor's handy work upon a second glance. The Ice House Industry in the distance was a dead give away. I never get tired of looking at D.W.'s fine work. :thumb:

I sent a message to MBE about what type of bell I need to order for my Gp's. Man you could spend all day on that site fussing over all the details you could include on your stuff.

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
Both Minatures by eric and Juneco make the high hood bell, as well as the Canadian National spark arrestors and horn shown on my athearn unit:
adl.jpg

I still have to add the drop steps and detail the window glass (which means another project to the list)

Canopus

Mar 16, 2006
Cornwall UK
This is sad, but I actually really like the GP9 and GP7 when they've got a dynamic brake unit. I don't know why, but I like to have that overhanging shape on the top of the hood. I like the streamlined shape of it and the way that feature blends into the locomotive as a whole. It seems to change the appearance for the better.

I don't like any other geep except for those two, and only when they've got dynamic brakes. :rolleyes:

Triplex

Aug 24, 2005
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
That's not sad. I can empathize - not so much for this specific situation, but the general idea of having very specific visual preferences. For example, I like late-phase GP60s better than early-phase, or Hi-Ad truck C630s and C415s better than their trimount and AAR "B" counterparts. I don't like GEs with trade-in Blomberg trucks, but I like EMDs with trade-in AAR "B" trucks. I don't like chopnose GP/SD 7/9s, and I absolutely hate when their entire cabs are replaced by later angular cabs.

Canopus

Mar 16, 2006
Cornwall UK
Triplex said:
That's not sad. I can empathize - not so much for this specific situation, but the general idea of having very specific visual preferences. For example, I like late-phase GP60s better than early-phase, or Hi-Ad truck C630s and C415s better than their trimount and AAR "B" counterparts. I don't like GEs with trade-in Blomberg trucks, but I like EMDs with trade-in AAR "B" trucks. I don't like chopnose GP/SD 7/9s, and I absolutely hate when their entire cabs are replaced by later angular cabs.

Good lord, I thought I was the only one who thought like that!

Some of my preferences are quite limiting, for instance I can't stand steam locomotives unless they're outside framed. That rules out practically every steam locomotive ever made except for those built for narrow gauge! Good job that I prefer narrow gauge eh?

I find I have the same preferences for everything. Not just locomotives but buildings, ships, cars, everything. :rolleyes:

The strange thing is though, seeing the real thing in the flesh makes me like it more. The sheer impressive size of a locomotive rolling by has made me fall in love with a number of locomotives that I previously didn't like at all!

Canopus

Mar 16, 2006
Cornwall UK
MadHatter said:
Yes, especially if you like detailing your models!!

That's interesting, I've never actually had to add dynamic brakes as a detail part. That said I've never scratchbuilt a standard gauge locomotive before... although I plan to. It's just getting round to it, know what I mean?

Another interesting thing is the high hood SD24 with the "torpedo tubes". I don't like the locomotive as much when it doesn't have them. Even though I have no interest in passenger trains, I like those bottles on the roof! Also the SD24's trucks look pretty cool to me for some reason...

MadHatter

Charging at full tilt.
Jan 27, 2007
Centurion, South Africa
Oops, my bad

Canopus said:
That's interesting, I've never actually had to add dynamic brakes as a detail part. That said I've never scratchbuilt a standard gauge locomotive before... although I plan to. It's just getting round to it, know what I mean?quote]

The model of the loco in my picure is missing the "Hump"- based on the non-dynamic braked version- behind the cab so another modeling friend of mine has cast one in resin, South African models are scarce and unfortunately we must take what we get, and update what is available into another version.

This piece just clips on.

Sorry, I was actually refering to the whole top of the loco in general in that post.... :eek:ops: :eek:ops:

tetters

Rail Spiking Fool!
Jan 21, 2005
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Wow! That looks great. Is that your loco? I have road number # 8416. You've just given me a great reference photo that I can use to dress mine up. I was trying to figure out how to put that big lamp on mine. Do you have any tips or pictures for that particular mod? I've also been searching high and low for reference photos of the Gp 7's and 9's in the old maroon and grey colours. I think I've checked all the usual on-line references and only found a couple. Any ideas for addtional photo references as well?

Thanks.