AD Scout/Sparrow

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by ECJohnson, Jun 24, 2006.

1. ECJohnson

ECJohnson New Member

Hi All,

I've been playing around with designing aircraft card models for a while and I have finally decided to start sharing them in an effort to gain some constructive criticism so that I can improve my technic. I thought that this forum would be a good place to start...

Attached is a 1/72 AD Scout/Sparrow that I designed last year...

Attached Files:

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Howdy Eric,

First, let me welcome you to the forum, we are glad to have you here, I am sure I can speak for everyone when I say we look forward to more postings by you, (they dont have to all be freebies either lol but we wont complain if they are lol).
    I just looked over page 1 of your model and it looks good, I especially like your "Cut, fold, glue" icons, as well as the others you have listed. I think that those icons are about the most "universal" icons I have seen used on a card model.
    I am sure we'd all love to see more of your work too.
    You oughta post a "introduction" thread, tell us abit about yourself and likes, dislikes etc.
    We have several designers here that frequent the forum and everyone pretty much learns from everyone else, the people here are a great bunch of folks.
    I will be downloading your "Sparrow" here shortly and adding it to my collections of "models to do". I thank you for the freebie and like I said, hope to see more postings by you in the near future.
    So, again, let me say welcome, we are glad to have you here.

Have a good evening, :)

Greg aka GW

3. kampfflieger

kampfflieger Member

Nice work, chief! Cool little dragonfly:)
  4. GT5500

GT5500 Member

Well if this builds as well as the it looks then my hat goes off to you, I think we can safely say you are a great designer.
  5. ECJohnson

ECJohnson New Member

Hi all again,

Thanks for the comments so far...

I'm hoping that someone will have some time to build one of my models (I'll be adding more in a few weeks). I think they go together pretty good and that they look good when finished, but I'm a little biased...

One of the things that I was curious about was how effective are the instructions without any text? I'm trying to make models and instructions simple enough that they don't need a narrative to be able to put it together. My 13 year old son and one of his friends are the only ones who have tried to build my models using the instructions. They have successfully built the models but they said that sometimes the instructions didn't help them much and they had to resort to trial and error...

Any thoughts?

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Howdy Eric,

Well, like I said, I really like the icons you use in the instructions, I dont think any experienced modeler will have trouble and I think that the icons/instructions are simple enough for even a novice modeler.
    I got the plane downloaded and it is in my to do list, but like I said, right now, cutting is kinda hard for me since my neck and left arm are out of commission........(yes, I type these long winded diatribes single handed for the most part until i have to use the shift key. for the plastic kits I have been building, I have a small magnifying glass with alligator clips on it to hold parts for a fly fisherman uses to tie flies).
    Anyway, I look forward to more posts and models from you. Thanks again for the freebie.

Have a good evening,

Greg aka GW
  7. ECJohnson

ECJohnson New Member

I've added a new model, a 1/72 scale Cessna 140, to the Parts Bin