Accurate Trucks

David Rosser

Sep 15, 2003
Penna
Visit site
I have a hybrid loco that could be more accurate. The shell is a PRR Baldwin Shark, correct color, letters, ladders and train-phone anten. system. The chassis is Athearn, runs great, much better than the old original two axle power, cheap motor set-up that came with the shell. But, the plastic sides on the trucks are obvious Blomberg types that were part of the original Athearn machine, and the Baldwins usually used ( I believe) AAR - type B road trucks. Does anyone know if there is a replica of these that would snap in place of the Athearn plastic truck sides that are now there. Any ideas would be appreciated; I have been at this HO game for about 30 years so maybe I really shoud know--But I don't. Dave:confused:

Greg Elems

Dec 19, 2002
Reno Nevada
Visit site
Dave,
Athearn makes the type B road trucks you need. They use them under their U30B's and U28B's. Try e mailing Athearn. If you have a local hobby shop, they maybe able to get them. If you really get ambitous, buy one of the U boats and trade them. Some railroads, like WP and L&N had EMD trucks under their U boats.

Greg Elems

David Rosser

Sep 15, 2003
Penna
Visit site
Gentlemen, Thanks for the help. No luck at A-Line or Detail Assoc. Athearn shows several sets of side frames, but not the ones I seek, unless I misread the descriptions. Sent e-mail to Athearn and now I will just wait. Thanks again. Dave

Greg Elems

Dec 19, 2002
Reno Nevada
Visit site
Here is a link to a picture of the Athearn U28B. Under it are the Type B road trucks, the same type that Baldwin used under their Sharks.

http://www.athearn.com/Locomotives/Loco1/3411.GIF

These should be the trucks and prices

34021 GEB POWER TRUCK FRONT 1 $ 7.50
34022 GEB POWER TRUCK REAR 1 $ 7.50

It might be cheaper to buy the whole unit and trade out the trucks. They can be bought on sale in the Model Railroader or Railroac Model Craftsman from larger mail order houses.

Good luck and let us know how it comes out.

Greg

BillD53A

Mar 23, 2002
Fort Myers Florida
Visit site
As stated, Athearn makes the AAR road trucks you want. They are used under the 4-axle GE models. They are a one-piece casting with a pin that fits into the sides of the gearbox. Pull the EMD sideframes off and push the AAR frames into place. That simple. If you have an older drive unit the sideframes are not removable. In that case it might just be easier to replace the whole drive with a new one.
Athearn parts can be ordered directly from their website but usually take several weeks. Walthers also stocks Athearn parts; the Walthers website will tell you if the item is in stock at the present time; and they ship MUCH quicker. I placed an order with them on Monday, they shipped it Tuesday.