Accurail USRA 55 ton 2 bay open top hoppers

Discussion in 'Product Review Forum' started by Conrail, Sep 19, 2005.

1. Conrail

Conrail Member

I think these are superb for the price. I bought a 12 pack and I am very satisfied. The only draw back is the plastic wheels but you will have that unless buying top shelf freight cars anyhow. :thumb:
    My Kadee ultra packs, & 33" wheels came in today so I thought I would go ahead and put the trucks, wheels, & couplers on the finished models....NO screws...even though the directions say they are included...there are some plastic truck pins but no screws for the draft boxes. :( None in any of the packs! Guess I'll have to order some. Booooo!
  2. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

I agree.

I got two of these hoppers lettered for NYC. Nice crisp printing, kit goes together in a matter of minutes. Kadee couplers come out at the right height without shimming or other modification.

One problem is they are very light weight when empty. Additional weight to bring them to NMRA specs is easy to hide when they are loaded, but not so easy when you want to run them empty. Maybe replace the stell weights with lead putty? I am not sure of a really satisfactory answer. One guy at our modular club models "reside" in the bottom of his coal hoppers, but I think this looks less than satisfactory.

Click here to see my hopers and how to make an easy removable coal load.

3. Conrail

Conrail Member

What should the correct empty wieght be Masonjar? I also added coal loads to mine. Although I just used Accurail loads (come with weights), masked off the edges, dip in white glue water mixure and sprinkled WS medium cinders over the top for a better look. The load on the left is a finished one and the one on the right is the Accurail load. Also pictured are the weights that come with the loads. They snap into the bottom of the load.

4. stump7

stump7 Member

I had the same problem with light weight. When running a 20 car unit train on 24" curves the middle cars would "straighten out" on the curve and derail. I got a roll of lead roofing flashing about 1/16th" thick (I think, they are all packed away now and I can't measure). I cut this to length and width of the interior and formed it to make a lead layer over the bottom. I pliobonded them in and painted a flat black. The angles are a little rounded compared to the empty car but nobody but you or a rivet counter would notice and you won't notice after the third runby. It solved the empty load weight problem.
  5. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

I don't have it on hand, but I think the general NMRA recommendation is 1 ounce plus 1/2 ounce for every (actual) inch of car length. The hoppers should weigh something like 4 1/2 oz, but are only 2 1/2 or so as is. Something like that... ;)

6. Conrail

Conrail Member

Hmmmmmmmm.... going to have to go buy some scale. Thanks for the heads up. :thumb: :thumb:
  7. sumpter250

sumpter250 multiscale modelbuilder

When I was looking for N&W 55 ton hoppers, I found an Accurail 6 pack, later, I found a 12 pack, and figured I'd have to renumber at least six of the cars. Turned out that all the numbers were different.
    I've run all 18 cars at the front of a 40 car train,with a helper pushing, without any problems, or any extra weight, other that the steel weights provided with the kit. That was on the modular layout, the club layout, and on Gary Pfiel's layout.
    I don't pay much attention to NMRA weight specs, and haven't had any problems because of it.