Accurail Switchman

alcuin

Dec 29, 2007
Hi everyone,

My layout is small enough that I can do all my uncoupling by hand. In surfing the net I've come across the Switchman tool by Accurail, which seems like it might work well, but I've only seen it in conjunction with HO couplers. Does anyone know if it also works for N scale? Thanks.

Chris

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
I just use one of those sandwich toothpicks---the kind with the colored cellophane fright wig---just point it in between the two couplers and give it a clockwise twist. Pretty slick and, at $1 for 50 of them, very affordable---and---it works in both HO and N scale.

seanm

Oct 11, 2004
Sunny CA
www.pegnsean.net
I often wondered about those ones that are a two pronged fork with a magnet on each side...I have only seen them in HO. Do they work in HO? I am suprised with the rare earth mags now available that nobody has developed one for N-Scale.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
I often wondered about those ones that are a two pronged fork with a magnet on each side...I have only seen them in HO. Do they work in HO? I am suprised with the rare earth mags now available that nobody has developed one for N-Scale.

I have a set of those by Rix. They work OK but, if you have steel details like grab irons and such, they tend to grab those. The sandwich picks won me over rather quickly after a couple derailments.

alcuin

Dec 29, 2007
I'm looking to avoid magnets altogether. I've used ad hoc implements like toothpicks too. I just thought the Accurail tool might be worth looking into, being specially designed to be used with Accumate couplers.