Accidental Discovery

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Not too long ago, I was working on a decaling project, & I experienced one of those "happy accidents", & ended up with better results than anything I could have planned. So I thought I'd pass it along in case anyone might want to try this one out.
Whenever I'm applying decals, the last step, once I've got everything the way I want it, is to apply a flat finish. Sometimes I use Testors Dullcote, but on this occasion, I was applying a sign to the wall of a structure, & I had a bottle of Floquil Flat Finish, with just a tiny amount left in the bottle, & I thought I'd just thin it a bit, & brush it on.
So I dipped a brush into a bottle of Diosol (Floquil Thinner) & then into the flat finish. What I didn't realize, until it was too late, was that the Diosol was quite dirty from numerous brush cleanings, & suddenly that nice clean Flat Finish had turned an ugly yellowish brown color...PERFECT...for weathering an old sign!
I had used dirty Diosol before for weathering some things, (it's great for staining wood) but I had never dirtied up a bottle of Flat Finish before.
I have since used this grimy little mixture on freight cars, & other structures, with great results.
Remember, though, as with any weathering technique, subtlty is the key...start very lightly, & build up to the desired result.

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Very nice Charlie, sometimes accidents happen for the best as in your case. I have to admit, I had never thought of using that idea to weather decals, Hmmm. got to give that a try.

Thanks
Shamus

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Dirty Thinner

Years ago, i read that you could weather with dirty thinner, so i tried it. Problem was, i had a lot of silver and other metal paints in my thinner and i got washes with lots of sparkly bits in them. Don't clean your metallic paints in the weathering thinner.
Also, watch the dio-sol on plastic as it dissolves the surface.

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Northern Rivers NSW Australia
Weathering?

Weathering? Not game enough yet. In case I wreck many hours of painting, or my fav spanking new look loco! Most I've done is some Floquil grimy black on loco bogies, vents and grilles, when painting up the kits.

PS: Wheres a "smilie" for being "chicken"!! :p