Accessory Lighting

nolatron

I'm gonna be running the Digitrax DCS100 on my N-Scale layout (soon hopefully). So far I've got 2 structures that has lighting built in, which is basically a white LED and two wires.

Can these LEDs just be tapped in the main bus from the DCS100? or is that too much power running through the bus for an LED? If so, how do you go about powering accessories and stuff?

Thanks.

CalFlash

It probably came with the appropriate resistor but check to be sure. The current requirements aren't that much to tax the DCC system but consider a separate "accessories" power supply and bus or use "wall warts".

As the others have said, if you do it right, it should be a problem.

I myself just use my old DC system's "accessory" output (i.e. AC) and ran an "accessories bus" all 'round the layout right alongside my DCC bus. Whenever I need accessory power I just tap into that.

nolatron

kchronister said:
I myself just use my old DC system's "accessory" output (i.e. AC) and ran an "accessories bus" all 'round the layout right alongside my DCC bus. Whenever I need accessory power I just tap into that.
Good idea. I'll have to check out the LHS to look and their DC power supplies and maybe pick up a cheap one with an accessory line. :thumb:

jwmurrayjr

An ATX PC power supply makes a great utility power supply. It's easy to "clean" one up so that it has 3.5VDC, 5VDC and 12VDC outputs and one unit will provide gobs of power (250 watts up, depending on the unit.)

They are about $15 new and you can often get one free.

Here's one I "converted". One of the Alas forum guys sent me a used PS and there's a link on this link ( :eek: ) with even more detail if you're interested.

http://www.trainweb.org/silversanjuan/Page3/Page16.html

:thumb: