Accessory hook up questions

jflessne

- If I have say 5-10 items that are to be lighted on my layout.
Do I connect up another transformer?
Do I connect it to the transformer directly?
Isn't it hot all the time?
Do people put switchs in line to turn the accessories on and off?
I think I understand you need to wire everything in parallel. So the last light in the line isn't dimmer. Physically how it that wired?

Attachments

• parallel wiringc.jpg
    parallel wiringc.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 86

Jim Krause

Are you talking primarily about lighting or operating accessories? Personally I would go with individual switches for most operating components and switches for lights too. Maybe one switch for a group of building lights etc. Some components may need variable voltage for light dimming. Lots of variables. Yes, parallel circuits are necessary.
Oops! Just reread your post and discovered that you are speaking about lighting. Please disregard the question about "other components." Just discovered another booboo on my part. You asked about power supplies. If your power supply has accessory terminals and enough capacity to run trains and what you want to have in the way of ll ighting etc, you can use just one. It's nice to have separate power for lighting but not necessary on a small layout.
Run feeder wires from the power supply and then separate wires to each lighting group from the feeder wires.

jflessne

Jim what type of switch are you suggesting? On/off switch? This is just for lighting.
- I have one house light.
- Truck has head lights
- One lamp
- Tunnel will have lights
- I'm looking for the apprioprate light to shine some light on my pond.

Jim Krause

It depends how elaborate you want to get. Basucally, you could get by with one switch for everything. A SPST (single pole, single throw) switch would work. If you want to control individual components, I would suggest building a control panel and installing individual switches for each unit. Maybe even a master fuse in the panel. The panel would be where you route your feeder wires to, from the power supply.

Jim Krause

Yes, it gets the idea across. Traditionally, wire diagrams are angular things, with no curving lines. Theres a whole system to drawing them. Symbols for lights, switches and each type of component. You might want to find a book at Radio Shack that tells you how to draw them if you are interested in going that far into it. You could also just add the second wire from the power supply to your diagram to make it a little more clear.

kf4jqd

Here's what I use. I use an old notebook power supply. It is 13.8 volts at 8amps. It's alot of power for a model railroad!:D The power terminals on your throttle control are connected to the same transformer as your power to the trains. The more power you use for your lighting. The less power goes to the locomotives. I have seen model railroads as the train runs, the lights flicker! If you only have a few lights or accorries, you can use a wall wart that came with an old cordless phone or other electronic 'toy'. And you do connect them in parelle!

Andy:wave: