Academy 1/48th scale Mirage IIIC Israeli Air Force

Discussion in 'Plastic' started by micahrogers, May 27, 2014.

  1. micahrogers

    micahrogers Active Member

    Hi again, and welcome to the next installment of On the Bench, this kit will be an experiment in acrylic Natural Metal finishes. AV Vallejo has a line of alcohol based metalics called Liquid Metals, and a line of acrylic metals called Model Air Metalics. The Liquid Metal line has the precious metals, Silver, White Gold, Old Gold, and Bright Gold. The Model Air Metalics line has Silver, Aluminium, Brass, Copper, and Gold.

    I'll be using the Model Air Metalics Silver as my base color, panels of Aluminium, and call outs in Liquid Silver. I'll have to mix colors to make the jet exhaust effect.
    The box says French Air Force markings, but the decals have only Israeli markings.
  2. micahrogers

    micahrogers Active Member

    As with most aircraft kits, construction starts with the cockpit.
    -there isn't much detail to this kits parts so let's see what painting can do.
    Looks ok I guess, next will be the pilot.
  3. micahrogers

    micahrogers Active Member

    The pilot has very little detail as well so painting went quick,
    and installed in the cockpit,
    next the rest of it starts to come together.
  4. micahrogers

    micahrogers Active Member

    Sorry for not updating recently, my old 8 MP camera died and I had to get a new one. so no interim pics of the the build up till yesterday.

    Fuselage built and primed in Tamiya Gloss Black

    and first coat of AV Vallejo Model Air Metalics "Silver" sprayed.

    more pics as the painting continues.
    Sanginus likes this.
  5. micahrogers

    micahrogers Active Member

    while the silver base coat cures I've painted the under-wing stores. I have no research as to what the fuel tanks and missles should be painted like, so I just followed the box art
    . DSCN0016.JPG

    I'm pretty sure it's two under-wing tanks, a center-line Sky-Streak or similar, and two Sidewinders. Feel free to corect me if I am wrong with my ID or colors.
  6. zathros

    zathros -----SENIOR---- Administrator

    That is one old mold. Your painting is excellent. I used to make mold, for different products, but same process. Back when plastic model were relatively cheap, I would buy two, just to cut out the moveable surfaces in one and stick them into the other. Plastic Models are so expensive. Only thing I don't understand is that the production costs have gone down, so why still the high prices.

    I used to get Hawgawa, and Tamiya kits mostly. The old Jo-Hann kits, with tons of work, made models that fell into the unobtainium field. Lots of work ahead. Coming out real nice. Hard to put good panel lines in plastic, possible, but hard. I have, new in the box, an original Renwal Visible V-8. I always wanted to find that chassis, but they are up at around $1800.00 dollars now. Far too much for me. I also have a 1/8th Scale Jaguar XKE by Monogram, full suspension, engine details, the Windows even roll down! I had two, but sold one 8 months ago for $300 dollars. It only cost $35 dollars 20 years ago. :)
  7. Bill Nelson

    Bill Nelson Well-Known Member

    One thing is Plastic is made out of oil, when we think of the cost of kits now, as opposed to 40 years ago, I have to remember I could fill up my car for $4.00 fourty years ago.
  8. micahrogers

    micahrogers Active Member

    to be honest, most of the models I've built recently are coming out of my 14 plus year old stash of kits. The Cadet series ships are new production bought at Hobby Lobby with the 40% off coupons for about $14 a pop, and the Mystery Machine was bought new at Hobbytown USA for about $25.
  9. micahrogers

    micahrogers Active Member

    detail painting done, panels painted with Steel for a slight color variation. wheel wells painted White, fueling points in Red, and nose cone in Black.
    Decals come next


    The decals won't take long on this kit.
  10. micahrogers

    micahrogers Active Member

    Decals are done and clearcoated, had a couple "decal malfunctions" with this one.
    DSCN0029.JPG DSCN0030.JPG DSCN0031.JPG
    in the pic below you can see that even after setting solution's and clearcoat, the side stars rose up and wrinkled.

    and in this pic you can see that the fin numbers totally disintegrated
    when they came off the paper, so I used a marker to add them in.
    next will be weathering...
  11. micahrogers

    micahrogers Active Member

    Holy Crap!
    I didn't realize how close up this new cam will get... you can see the sanding marks left by 800 grit here....
    anyway, pics of weathered craft coming
  12. micahrogers

    micahrogers Active Member

    Okay the final installment of the Mirage IIIC is here, a black wash to bring out the panel lines, then a "grunge" wash to simulate oil and fuel leaks, and finally chalk dusts to simulate dirt and smoke. then the underwing stores were added.
    now a small break while I decide what to do next.

    Thanks for viewing

Share This Page