Academy 1/48th scale Mirage IIIC Israeli Air Force

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
Hi again, and welcome to the next installment of On the Bench, this kit will be an experiment in acrylic Natural Metal finishes. AV Vallejo has a line of alcohol based metalics called Liquid Metals, and a line of acrylic metals called Model Air Metalics. The Liquid Metal line has the precious metals, Silver, White Gold, Old Gold, and Bright Gold. The Model Air Metalics line has Silver, Aluminium, Brass, Copper, and Gold.

I'll be using the Model Air Metalics Silver as my base color, panels of Aluminium, and call outs in Liquid Silver. I'll have to mix colors to make the jet exhaust effect.
20140524_220746.jpg
The box says French Air Force markings, but the decals have only Israeli markings.

micahrogers

Staff member
As with most aircraft kits, construction starts with the cockpit.
20140524_220815.jpg
20140524_220823.jpg
-there isn't much detail to this kits parts so let's see what painting can do.
20140527_120225.jpg
20140527_120307.jpg
20140527_120317.jpg
20140527_120326.jpg
Looks ok I guess, next will be the pilot.

micahrogers

Staff member
The pilot has very little detail as well so painting went quick,
20140527_152001.jpg
20140527_152010.jpg
20140527_152023.jpg
and installed in the cockpit,
20140527_152430.jpg
20140527_152453.jpg
20140527_152502.jpg
next the rest of it starts to come together.

micahrogers

Staff member
Sorry for not updating recently, my old 8 MP camera died and I had to get a new one. so no interim pics of the the build up till yesterday.

Fuselage built and primed in Tamiya Gloss Black
DSCN0006.JPG

and first coat of AV Vallejo Model Air Metalics "Silver" sprayed.
DSCN0012.JPG
DSCN0013.JPG
DSCN0014.JPG
DSCN0015.JPG

more pics as the painting continues.

micahrogers

Staff member
while the silver base coat cures I've painted the under-wing stores. I have no research as to what the fuel tanks and missles should be painted like, so I just followed the box art
.DSCN0016.JPG

I'm pretty sure it's two under-wing tanks, a center-line Sky-Streak or similar, and two Sidewinders. Feel free to corect me if I am wrong with my ID or colors.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
That is one old mold. Your painting is excellent. I used to make mold, for different products, but same process. Back when plastic model were relatively cheap, I would buy two, just to cut out the moveable surfaces in one and stick them into the other. Plastic Models are so expensive. Only thing I don't understand is that the production costs have gone down, so why still the high prices.

I used to get Hawgawa, and Tamiya kits mostly. The old Jo-Hann kits, with tons of work, made models that fell into the unobtainium field. Lots of work ahead. Coming out real nice. Hard to put good panel lines in plastic, possible, but hard. I have, new in the box, an original Renwal Visible V-8. I always wanted to find that chassis, but they are up at around $1800.00 dollars now. Far too much for me. I also have a 1/8th Scale Jaguar XKE by Monogram, full suspension, engine details, the Windows even roll down! I had two, but sold one 8 months ago for $300 dollars. It only cost $35 dollars 20 years ago. :)

Bill Nelson

One thing is Plastic is made out of oil, when we think of the cost of kits now, as opposed to 40 years ago, I have to remember I could fill up my car for $4.00 fourty years ago.

micahrogers

Staff member
to be honest, most of the models I've built recently are coming out of my 14 plus year old stash of kits. The Cadet series ships are new production bought at Hobby Lobby with the 40% off coupons for about $14 a pop, and the Mystery Machine was bought new at Hobbytown USA for about $25.

micahrogers

Staff member
detail painting done, panels painted with Steel for a slight color variation. wheel wells painted White, fueling points in Red, and nose cone in Black.
Decals come next

DSCN0019.JPG DSCN0020.JPG DSCN0021.JPG DSCN0022.JPG

The decals won't take long on this kit.

micahrogers

Staff member
Decals are done and clearcoated, had a couple "decal malfunctions" with this one.
DSCN0029.JPG DSCN0030.JPG DSCN0031.JPG
in the pic below you can see that even after setting solution's and clearcoat, the side stars rose up and wrinkled.

DSCN0032.JPG
and in this pic you can see that the fin numbers totally disintegrated
when they came off the paper, so I used a marker to add them in.
DSCN0033.JPG
next will be weathering...

micahrogers

Staff member
Holy Crap!
I didn't realize how close up this new cam will get... you can see the sanding marks left by 800 grit here....
anyway, pics of weathered craft coming

micahrogers

Staff member
Okay the final installment of the Mirage IIIC is here, a black wash to bring out the panel lines, then a "grunge" wash to simulate oil and fuel leaks, and finally chalk dusts to simulate dirt and smoke. then the underwing stores were added.
DSCN0034.JPG DSCN0035.JPG DSCN0036.JPG DSCN0037.JPG DSCN0038.JPG DSCN0039.JPG DSCN0040.JPG DSCN0041.JPG DSCN0042.JPG DSCN0043.JPG
now a small break while I decide what to do next.

Thanks for viewing