AC to DC

VoidZero

Mar 29, 2002
Visit site
I have an OLD OLD Lionel train master transformer.
It puts out about 25 volts AC, the only problem is I have an HO train set and I would like to utilize the transformer for it but it puts out AC and not DC. Does anyone know how I could convert it?

Thank You.

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
You'd have to find a rectifier or transformer of some kind, but I don't know where to start. But if you have to buy something to convert from AC to DC, why not just go ahead and buy a new DC power pack?

Check out www.modelrec.com. They sell a wide variety of very good power packs.

-Rory

VoidZero

Mar 29, 2002
Visit site
I would buy a new DC transformer but I have an old Gilbert Smoker that NEEDS 18 Volts DC (trackpower) to work. I have yet to find a CHEAP (or reasonable) HO transformer that is capable of putting out sufficient voltage.

VoidZero

Mar 29, 2002
Visit site
Well, I know that it needs about 18 VDC. Because I borrowed a friends G Scale transformer and it ran for a long period of time (and smoked great :) ) on 18VDC.

Thank You for your input.

TR-Flyer

Nov 24, 2001
SC
Visit site
Dear Voidzero:
Did you know that ACG made a "rectiformer" to convert one of their AC transformers to DC for use with their DC "S" gauge equipment? Check out the Yahoo groups "S-List" and see if someone there knows about it. There may be info online about how to build one of these things.

Regards,
Ted

billk

Jun 12, 2001
Marion, IA, USA
If my memory serves (quite often it doesn't anymore) what you need to convert AC to DC is called a bridge (?) rectifier, and you need four diodes to make one.

It isn't too complicated. If you have a Radio Shack nearby, they should have the parts and plans. (Ask the geek with pimples, not the manager!)

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Radio Shack carries bridge rectifiers already made up -- square lump of plastic with 4 wires coming out but I don't know the ratings. They're usually rated in some totally useless combination of units, say, 200 milliamps at 600 Volts. I bought one but haven't found a use for it yet. At one point there were a number of firms that made rectifier units; I have a H&M one that I use for my Tortoise switch motors.