AC Power supplies for switches

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by Big Al Slyde, Oct 2, 2001.

1. Big Al Slyde

Big Al Slyde New Member

Help... I need to run approximately 18 remote switches for the Avalanche & Little Park R.R. I'm not sure what type of power source to use. Or where to get it? Ideas, please.
  2. Tyson Rayles

Tyson Rayles Active Member

Hi Big Al, Some food for thought,my layout has a couple of switches in hidden staging areas. Not wanting to try to replace these when the motors burn out or whatever I used automotive choke cables. Works like a charm, first time every time. Also a heck of a lot cheaper then switch machines. I manually throw the switches in the scenic areas. Cheaper yet and you never have to tear up your scenery fixing busted switches.
    Tyson Rayles CEO- Nantahala Midland
  3. Woodie

Woodie Active Member

Power supply

Big Al,

I have a twin controller (2 * 12 VDC with controllers) and that has a 17 AC 1.6 AMP output as well that I use for turnouts. However the 1.6 AMPS is only enough to switch 3 turnouts on the same circuit (ie at once) I have a 4 turnout crossover, (plus other turnouts of course) and it is not enough to power all 4 turnout motors on the same circuit, so had to break it into 2 lots of 2. I have not yet put in a capacitor discharge unit, nor any switches. Just touch the wires together briefly. Any transformer with 17 V AC output of at least 1.6 AMPS should be sufficient for your tunouts. Maybe obtained from and electrnics store? I'm using Peco trunouts with the Peco (PL-10, I think) turnout solenoid switches.