abutt really has a layout!

abutt

Jan 11, 2006
NW CT, USA
I've been a member now for a couple months, and I suspect that some people think I'm just talk. I've uploaded new pics of my layout in the gallery for anyone who'd care to take a look at some of my building efforts. It's under the title of "abutt's Central New England HO rr". This is a small layout depicting a railroad that existed long ago crossing the state of Connecticut from east to west. The various industries shown in the pics really existed. I think the railroad died because they weren't smart enough, or didn't have the money, to put down a two-track mainline.

Any comments on what I've done will be welcomed.:wave:

Allan

Jules Winnfield

Mar 23, 2006
The layout is wonderful!!
I am sure these people would never question your integrity.I am very obnoxious and long winded sign1 and I have never been treated with anything but respect!

Thanks guys!:wave:

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
Nice looking layout. One of these days, I'll get up there to see it in person.
Just so you know Allan(and anyone else interested), the Central New England was swallowed up by the New Haven in 1927.The rails were abandoned, because the then president, Mellon, perfered the more southernly route to the Poughkeepsie Bridge, and coal fields in Pennsylvania, via Maybrook New York. In 1938, the rails were torn up between Canan Ct, and Bloomfield, Ct.
Two miles of rail are still used today in Canan by the Housatonic RR,(sure you've seen them Allan) to service the Phizer plant outside of town, and a real Central New England(shortline/industrial) uses twelve miles in Bloomfield Ct, to service an industrial park and a Home Depot wharehouse.

abutt

Jan 11, 2006
NW CT, USA
There's also a Central New England HO railroad in the Collinsville Historical Society build ing. The attempt in this layout is to accurately represent real distances in HO scale. If I recall roughly 60 feet is equal to 1 mile in HO, so you can imagine the size of that room! I haven't visited it in a long time. I'll get over one of these days. It's only 15 minutes away.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Allen,

Nice layout, great pics.:thumb:

One tip, you can add a link to you album in the gallery just like this: click here to see abutt's rr pics.

What you do is to copy the location of your album, I just right clicked on the album's name and select "copy links location" from the right-click menu, then I higlighted "click here" and went to the top of the compose window and selected the "inset link" (globe) icon, and pasted the link's location in the box that came up.

You can link to anyplace on the web this way.:D

pomperaugrr

May 21, 2003
Connecticut
Visit site
Allan:

I live in Litchfield County. You did a great job conveying a true feel for the area your railroad depicts. Nice job! I'll have to check out that Model Railroad at the Collinsville Historical Society building. I never knew they had one.

Eric

abutt

Jan 11, 2006
NW CT, USA
Hy Guys...A bit more research. Even though the building of the historical society is in Collinsville, the place is actually the Canton Historical Society. They have a web site that has pics of their layout. www.cantonmuseum.org. Includes a slide show. Also a new restaurant in the old trainstation building. Which the wife and I found to our liking.

Allan

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Maybe you should change the title of your thread to "abutt has a really nice layout!" :)

Great pics and I really like your structures with the signs and details. Very nice!
Ralph

abutt

Jan 11, 2006
NW CT, USA
Ralph..Yours was a nice compliment. Many thanks. I spend a lot of time adding the small details that make a scene. I think it's time well spent

Allan

abutt

Jan 11, 2006
NW CT, USA
Viperman...Go to our home page. Click on basics, and you'll find a section on galleries and how to create your own in a step-by-step presentation by our very own "ezdays". Just follow it through and you'll be there in no time. You can then throw all your pics there and upload them to a particular thread anytime you want. I'm a new kid, too. Had to ask the right person like Don. Good luck,

Allan

zedob

Dec 26, 2004
Chicopee, MA
abutt said:
Hy Guys...A bit more research. Even though the building of the historical society is in Collinsville, the place is actually the Canton Historical Society. They have a web site that has pics of their layout. www.cantonmuseum.org. Includes a slide show. Also a new restaurant in the old trainstation building. Which the wife and I found to our liking.

Allan

Love your layout. I've always like Collinsville, it is such a cool and picturesque place.

I've been there and will agree that it has a very nice museum. Any and every type of sharp item imaginable from the old Collins Axe Co. The layout is impressive and does a pretty good job of depicting the town of Collinsville before 1955. A flood after two hurricanes really tore the place up and is speculated that it was the final blow to the Collins Co.

The whole facility is a great site, albiet a little thinned out from the flood, but walkable. It's been subdivided for smaller commercial ventures, so you can walk pretty much anywhere, I did. It's an artsy community now, from what I can tell, so I guess I'm just seen as another artist walking around taking pics.

The Collins facility is a prime example of how water was used to power mills.

I haven't tried the resturaunt yet, but I will the next time my whife and I go to the antique store. Thanks for the tip.

kickinhorse1

Jun 20, 2006
Very nice layout Allen. I am thinking of building a shelf style layout too how did you do your bench work I read some of your other posts and you are only 18 inches wide looks more like 2ft to 30 inches nice job.
August