? about weaver

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by ozzy, Sep 30, 2007.

1. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

is o scale weaver to scale, 1:48? or are they like lionel,k-line,mth? smaller?
  2. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

Weaver produces scale 1:48 models. The smaller box car is true to scale for an early all steel car.

Greg Elems
  3. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

ty, im watching some cars on ebay, but the adds dont say what they was,

and whats the difference with 2 rail and 3 rail cars, i see alot of "2 rail boxcars" i would think that if they are o gauge that they would run on 3 rail track, right? only 2 rail engines would not run on 3.....
  4. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

Weavers cars are the same for 2 and 3 rail. The trucks are the same with the wheels being 3-rail non insulated. On the 3-rail cars the coupler is attached to the truck at the bolster. That does two things, it raises the car for the larger flanges on the wheels but makes it easy to remove the coupler to body mount your coupler of choice. Same thing for the 2-rail cars, easy conversion to 3-rail. Weaver sells the Lionel style couplers separately. A nice system IMHO.

5. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

ty, for the help, i was mainly a marx and lionel pre and post war guy with some newer lionels to, but now im getting into the scale stuff. i started buying williams stuff 3 weeks ago, just to find out last week that they sold out, and know one knows what bachmenn is going to do with them. so now im looking at weaver stuff, from what i seen at a train show today weaver is not to bad of a price for what you get for there cars, i have not looked at engines yet.
  6. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

The 3-rail models are similar in design as Atlas and MTH. They have vertical motors in each truck. The web page will tell you if they have all the EOB/cruse control TMCC or what ever. The Weaver engines I have are 2-rail but I'm happy with how they run. My 3-rail equipment is old school, since I changed to DC 2-rail many years ago and its been a while since I bought a 3-rail engine. What I do have requires the old AC transformers. Wish I could tell you more about the 3-rail Weaver.

Greg Elems
  7. jefelectric

jefelectric Member

ozzy, I have quite a few Weaver cars and a few engines. All are three rail and all are scale size. Weaver makes both 2 rail and 3 rail and uses the same basic car or engine for both. My advice would be, don't buy 2 rail cars as converting to 3 rail will cost more than just buying 3 rail to start with, there is no shortage of Weaver cars out there. You can buy direct from Weaver or from the mail order dealers that carry Weaver. Most of the dealers offer better prices than Weaver direct unless you join their club. I have been very happy with the Weaver that I have purchased to date. If you do have problems they are great people to deal with and their service is the fastest I have seen.

A few links:
    Weaver Models Home Page

Our sincere sympathies go out to the families

You can also hit the dealer link on the Weaver site for a list of dealers.

8. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

The difference between 2- and 3-rail cars will be that 2-rail have the wheels insulated from each other so that they don't short, while 3-rail cars usually have them all-metal for use with special electrical items. 3-rail will have coarser wheels with larger flanges that stay on the round-topped rails better. And they will probably come with a Lionel compatible coupler.
  9. Dr. John

Dr. John Member

Just got my 2008 Weaver catalog in the mail today. Yes, they are O scale and are offered in either 2 or 3 rail versions. Many of the 3 rail versions give you the option of plastic or die-cast trucks. The cars with die-cast trucks cost a bit more but tend to track better (more weight).
  10. jefelectric

jefelectric Member

Dr. John, You will notice the 2008 catalog only shows one price for rolling stock. They discontinued plastic trucks sometime this Summer (they posted a notice on their web site) the only thing now plastic, as far as trucks and couplers, is the coupler on the Northeast cabooses due to electrical pickup design. Not trying to be picky, just wanted to point out this change.