???? about passanger station platforms

ozzy

Jun 24, 2006
milton iowa
do they run the length of the train? i just put together the atlas N scale suburben passenger station #2841 and platforms #2842. but i think id need to add more platforms? as what i got so far is only about the length of maybe 2 or 2 1/2 80 foot pass cars. i plan on atleast 6 cars when i get the bought, (high dollar little things arnt they?!?...lol only pass cars i found in rock island road name are 20.00 each trying make my verson of the rock island rocket.)

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
Mostly at terminals, and major city stations. Some "Flagstops" and secondary stations, rarely had a wood boardwalk for passengers. Today, commuter stations are designed to go the whole length of trains, and are built to the same hieght as the doors on the cars, so commuters don't even have to "step down".

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Especially at smaller towns, the platform could be quite a bit shorter than the train. In that case, the Conductor would advise passengers as to what car to go to if they wished to disembark. If there was also head-end work (baggage and express) to be loaded or unloaded, the train might even make two separate stops.
The platform at my Lowbanks station is about 30" long, and can accomodate 3 or 4 cars, if they're properly spotted. Except in the summer, when excursion trains bring vacationers to the nearby lakeside, most passenger trains here are only one or two cars long. The secondary platform, between the tracks, is only about 18" long.
210620061171_574751.jpg

Even the platforms at my largest station, in Dunnville, are only about 38" long, so most passenger trains carry only sealed express cars, if any. Working express cars, plus RPOs, usually run in dedicated trains, with only a rider car at the rear. These trains may make multiple stops at a station, depending on the work to be done.
The station, in the centre of the background, consists of an express wing, the actual station, in the centre, and a post office in the far wing. The railroad's general offices occupy the upper floors.
100_5649.bmp

Wayne

railohio

Dec 29, 2000
It entirely depends on the era, railroad, and use. Most modern commuter operations are designed with full-length platforms but there are still many rural locations without this. Amtrak serves many small towns with a three or four car length platform off one track and a partial platform across to a second track just wide enough to spot one car door at. An example at this is the Lake Shore Limited stop in Bryan, Ohio.

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
Her are a few from near me on the Northeast corridor. Both are 3 - 4 car length stations. but they both have wood running out toi the second track. Note the platforms. that are there to match the height of the train cars.

Attachments

• AcelaServiceDT.jpg
    AcelaServiceDT.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 66
  • DSC02278.jpg
    DSC02278.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 65

nkp174

Oct 10, 2006
Cincinnati, O.
If you have very few trains per day, you don't need much platform....if you have several, you need more. If a stop is important enough to need multiple trains...then each train probably is doing more than one car of business with the town.

I knew someone that was working on a scale model of Cincinnati Union Terminal, and I think he said the platforms were like 30' long in HO scale....but it was the terminus for a bunch of trains including the C&O and N&W's premier passenger trains as well as Southern, NYC, B&O, L&N, and PRR trains.

LongIslandTom

Apr 8, 2006
Long Island, NY
Check out the length of the platform at this station on the Metro North Commuter Railroad! :D

Perfect prototype for those who do not have much room to model a passenger station on a small pike! sign1

(Note: The Breakneck Ridge stop is on the Water Level Route on the Hudson River, of the New York Central's 20th Century Limited fame. The MNCRR only stops there during the summer to drop off and pick up people going there to do recreational hiking. Still, if you want a prototype for the smallest passenger station possible on a modern railroad, that one is it!)

Attachments

• img_46302.jpg
    img_46302.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 40