About Foamboard ?

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by Biased turkey, Aug 4, 2007.

1. Biased turkey

Biased turkey Active Member

I built plastic structures and I finished about 60% of my 1st card model structure., both model railroad related
    I'm looking toward foamboard tooo, but can foamboard modeling technically fit in the card modeling subforum? after all it is a sheet of styrene core sandwiched between layers of paper right ?
    That's the kind of structure I would like to build:

2. David H

David H Member

Can I go first?

I think foam board is a fantastic material and every card modeller should have some handy. OK it isn't strictly card or paper but you can use it in the construction of a card model and use it in the same way as card. I is very easy to cut compared to 2mm card.

I have used foam board as a substitute for heavy card in internal structures or to build a cradle to support a model during construction. But the best use I have found for it so far is in making pinhole cameras!

On the wider question of what materials can or cannot be included in the card modelling church I would say all materials can be used - unless for some reason you wish to set yourself a special challenge.

IMHO all materials and techniques are welcome. But I would be happier if craft and skill, even guile was employed in their use.

I would generally oppose the purchase of mass produced articles unless their was no alternative. But recycling materials, well, I guess I would be OK with that.

Recently I have been using Depron sheet and expanding foam filler in a ships hull. I have also used balsa wood and styrene rod and cellophane... I still consider it card modelling.