ABC's Model history and paper model archeology

Discussion in 'Model History & Reference' started by rickstef, Aug 1, 2006.

1. rickstef

rickstef Guest

Hi all,

I was looking at the czech magazine ABC, and I found a very interesting section on their site.

At this page ABC describes the history of the papermodels which appeared in the magazine over time.

I have seen pages on the Space Race, vintage aircraft, buildings and everything else.

There are no models to download, but they do have scans of pages which appeared in the magazine, so you can take a look at how a designer drew a part or laid out the page.

If you need help with some of the words, I can recommend some translation sites I use (go down to the InterTran box for the better czech translator).

Hope this is useful for those who are interested in the ABC models and magazine.

2. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

september of 1967 has a nautilus model? any pictures?
  3. rickstef

rickstef Guest

doesn't appear to be any on the site.

only a couple of mentions using the search function
    one reference to the US Navy version

4. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

this page:

talks about a ponorku nautilus and appears to have at least one page of a model.
  5. rickstef

rickstef Guest

yes i saw that page too,

but i think it refers to the N XII further down in that same paragraph, i will try to figure it out when i get home tonight

6. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

AWESOME!!! Thanks SO MUCH for that Rick!!!
  7. GT5500

GT5500 Member

What actually is ABC I know they make a magazine but I am unsure what is in it apart from some models, but I notice that they appear on the cover of some other 'brand' models as well. I have also seen models on the jtdigest site and a few others that are the same style as the ABC magazine models and have similar instructions.
  8. rickstef

rickstef Guest

As far as i can tell, it is a General Knowledge/Kids magazine.

kinda like National Geographic for Kids here in the USA.

as for branding, I think one of our czech speaking members might be able to help out

9. Czestmyr

Czestmyr Member

Well I have been subscriber of the magazine for a few years myself. It has a relatively long tradition (over 50 years) and has developed its unique style over the time. The target group are children at age of 10-15 years, although almost everyone can find an interresting article inside. The magazine features mostly technical articles and articles about biology. Other usual contents include a few sheets of card paper with paper models, some puzzles or crosswords, pages for girls, comics, etc..
    I still have a bunch of old issues on a shelf.