ABC papermodeling help - How to cut round shapes

Discussion in 'Tips, Tutorials & Tools' started by copertura, Feb 24, 2004.

1. copertura

copertura New Member

Hi all,

Wich is the best way tyo cut a CARDBOARD round shape as the one attached?

With shissors it's hard to be accurate.

2. Gil

Gil Active Member

Best to obtain an Olfa circle cutter. It will cut out circles from 1 cm to about 6 cm.

Best regards, Gil
  3. rkelterer

rkelterer Member

i rely on a normal scissor and a small nail scissor AND my relaxed hand :wink: (never tried a circle cutter until yet, surely more reproducable :D )

4. Maurice

Maurice Member

You may like to try this.
    With a knife (and Raimund's relaxed hand :) )make a light cut a short way round the circle without going very deep.
    Rotate the card and repeat.
    Go on doing this until you are the whole way through all around.

You will still need to relax when using a cicle cutter :lol:

5. barry

barry Active Member

Scissors want to cut in a straight line and are awkward to turn. I cut out the part roughly leaving space to grip with my left figers then cut straight and turn the paper under the blades. I find it easier.

6. Ron

Ron Member

Check out the tools in the Articles section of the site. Might give you other alternatives :)

7. Bernhard

Bernhard Member

Hi Copertura

there are a lot of different ways to cut nice circles.

I made my own punch and die set for small cirles from two slabs of plexiglass and a cheap set of drill bits. It is quite easy: Clamp the two plexiglass pieces together. Then use a drill press (for exact vertical drilling) and drill one hole with each of the drill bits. (Drill slowly without much pressure; cool especially the small bits with water lest the plexiglass will melt.) All that's left to do now is to cut off the threaded part of each bit with a cut-off wheel. The remaining shanks are your dies. Before punching out circles connect the two plexiglass pieces with (at least) two of the momentarily non-used dies. They act as keys that keep top and bottom perfectly aligned. That way the third die -that's the one you are actually using to do the cutting - does not ruin the edge of the hole in the lower slab. Slide a piece of paper between the plates, put the cutting die in its hole, whack it slightly, and - voila - a nice round hole and a perfect paper circle!

For more ideas (circle cutters, canulas, brass tubing, ...) see the fantastic "Card Modelling FAQ" website at
    especially sections 3.5 and 3.13 deal with cutting circles.

Good luck

8. Maurice

Maurice Member

9. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

When it comes to cutting out circles, I have tried numerous ways...from Olaf Circle cutters to circle compasses to die punches and the only way I know I am cutting out the circle properly is by hand. Someone mentioned turning the paper instead of the knife, well I do both. I turn the paper and cut a straight line across the outer rim and do that all the way around. If I do it small enough, I have a fairly round wheel...good enough for me...and I use it. The circle cutters probably work well, but I always have a problem finding center and keeping the pin there. Same goes with the other ways of cutting circles. All in all, I think a lot of practice just cutting them out yourself with a number 11 blade and your hand moving the paper is best. After you do several dozen, you'll figure out the most comfortable way for you to do it, and won't think twice of doing it in the future. Just get a coin, a blank sheet of cardstock and draw circles and cut them out. And, if you plan to mount your cut out circle to stiffer boardstock, you can always sand out the rough spots you made during the cut 8v)
  10. jcvandenbergh

jcvandenbergh New Member

I still prefer rounded small scissors of a good quality as used for cutting your nails (after all they were designed to cut round forms!) and moving the scissors and the paper at the same time. Even the smallest circles of 1 or 2mm in diameter are no problem after some practice. For stiffer cardboard it is very important to remove material on the outside before making the final cut.
  11. jcvandenbergh

jcvandenbergh New Member

Sorry, I now realize that this is about inner circles to be cut out. Fore these I make an endless series of very very small cuts while turning the paper around and around untill finally the round innerpart comes loose in a perfect cut