A3 (large format) printers? Any suggestions?

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by wunwinglow, Aug 8, 2004.

1. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Wow! after 2 years of grim times, my employers finally paid us all a bonus, so I am thinking of getting a bigger A3 printer. Any suggestions? I have used Epsons up to now, but my current C82 A4 machine is proving a bit unreliable, so I was thinking of Canon or others as a replacement, but going up a size. Straight (or nearly so) paper path, and thicker stock handling are important, obviously! Any comments?

Thanks, Tim P
  2. barry

barry Active Member

If HP do a successor to the 1100C, that had an absolutely flat path from the rear.

3. Renaud

Renaud Member

A3 printer

I have just read a full review about Epson Stylus photo 2100 vs canon 19950, both A3. I shall translate it this evening from the French magazine I have just bought.
  4. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Thanks guys, and Renaud, I look forward to seeing your translation! Many thanks.

Tim P
  5. rickstef

rickstef Guest

In my office, I have an HP cp1700, it does up to a B size sheet.

great machine, has a straight thru path for some thicker stock, and individual ink tanks and printheads.

I also have the Epson Photo stylus 2200, their B size capable printer.
    cool thing about this one, it will handle 1.3 mm thick stock with out any problems.

also check out my review in the hardware section here or on the old site.

6. andrzejamr

andrzejamr New Member

definately go with the Epson 2200, its pricey but worth it. I tried to go cheap and bought a Canon 9100 after getting conformation from Canon that the printer is PS 2 complient. Guess what it is not!! None of the canons are... A quick printout of a scan shows that scan and image do not overlap. there is rt.upper corner stretch....So I have a 280$ paper weight and the epson on the way. ..
  7. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

A3+ Epson photo printer

I´m really pleased with my new Epson Stylus Photo R1800 printer.
    I am using it in combination with an Epson Stylus DX4850 scanner/printer to "blow up" some models that I have either bought or downloaded.
    It delivers border-free A3 high quality prints (on the right kind of paper!) Eight separate ink color cartridges (two black: matte and photo + a gloss optimizer) yields reasonably affordable prints (I usually order ink over the Web at a lower cost).
    The special ink used in this machine is water proof, doesn´t get sunbleached (I hope!) and is supposed to keep true colors for over 80 years
    - well, I guess my daughters will have to find that out...
    I am a photographer in Stockholm, Sweden and many of my fellow tradesmen have purchased the same printer. For those interested in printing mostly in black & white the Epson Stylus Photo R2400 is a better (and slightly more expensive) option.
    I can really recommend it to the serious card model builder who wants to build bigger models!

Best, Bengt Fredén, Stockholm, Sweden