A Weathering Dilemma

Discussion in 'FAQs' started by CharlesH., Aug 2, 2004.

1. CharlesH.

CharlesH. Member

How do you weather a fine varnish or "new" equipment? Simulating clean cars by simply not weathering them just doesn't work very well, and yet a bit of weathering might seem a bit excessive. Any ideas?
  2. sumpter250

sumpter250 multiscale modelbuilder

Some underbody dust,..if steam era, some soot on the roof, and possibly a little run down the sides...wheels will be oily (unless roller bearing trucks, then, new wheels are rust, older wheels are dark)...Passenger equipment is regularly washed, so sides and roof will stay clean, but underbody isn't scrubbed, and will accumulate grime....fading will occur, from washing, and from exposure to sunlight.
    Weathering of "new" equipment should not be excessive. How much is too much?( here we need a shoulder shrugging smilie) :D
  3. You could just put on several layers of dullcoat to reduce the shine of the plastic.
  4. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

Use a clear satin rather than a flat finish. It reduces the sheen without knocking out the relatively new look. My recent RV project was painted in a semi-gloss white that I found quite pleasing. I plan to do this more often.
  5. Glen Haasdyk

Glen Haasdyk Active Member

I'll use some flat black on the trucks, followed by a little grey chalk to simulate road dust.
  6. ghostconductor

ghostconductor New Member

Weathering dilema

Charles, there is a weathering dye from Joe's Model Trains i use that i think you would like for your scheme. There are only 2 colors though- black grime and rust, but i can blend both or use separate in any intensity. The dye is very nice because it can be shown as an almost colorless stain to a full intense color. Plus it has some type of ingredient that when it dries it doesn't rub off. I use warm water, but it says that alcohol works good too. I found the stuff in a weathering kit on ebay and went to the web site www.joesmodeltrains.com
  7. petey

petey Member

Basement dweller has the easiest solution. It's simple and does a good job of making the finish look dulled by sunlight. Another approach is to use chalk. Buy ordinary colored chalks -artist supply-don't get oil based, yet. These go on easily, can be intensified, and can be wiped off. Another method, which precludes having to buy/order something special, is India ink in brown & black-art supply/craft/stationary store-it can be formulted in any strength. Mix with rubbing alcohol. I have a some, in a spray bottle, I mixed five years ago. Still good.