A Wahl Clipper Oil Alternative

Discussion in 'Tips & Tricks' started by Mrplow123, Sep 5, 2006.

1. Mrplow123

Mrplow123 Member

I have been reading alot over int the Wahl Clipper Oil Experiment thread and decided it would be worth a try. I have a one month old Atlas Dash8-40B that is already having problems from poor pick up. So I haven't picked up any Wahl Clipper oil yet, but tonight I was in the garage running the trains and the Dash8 started running intermittently again. I cleaned the tracks, cleaned the wheels and it ran great for about 3 or 4 passes, then back to crap. Well I got this great idea, I figured how special can Wahl oil be compared to other oils. So I had a small bottle of some oil I picked up from the LHS to lube my engines. It is made by Perfect Part Company, and they call it Light Oil. It works great for keeping everything lubed and it was cheap, $4.79 for the bottle.

Well I was getting fed up with the poor running so I figured I had nothing to loose. I didn't even bother cleaning the rails first. i put a small drop on my finger and ran it along both rails in one area. I ran the Dash8 across it and no change at all, at first. After I ran it back and forth a few times it was like a whole new engine, well it still practically is, but it ran perfectly like it should. So I applied the oil to a few other spots around the layout and ran the train. WOW what a difference. I am sooooo surprised at the results, and there wasn't any wheel slipping.

So I ran the Dash8 for a while at about 30 percent throttle on my DC power pack. After about 20 passes of flawless running I put the Dash8 and the GP40-2 together and hooked up my 5 Walthers intermodal cars which are all metal and weigh quite a bit, and 12 more regular box cars and such. I was able to run the entire consist at 10 percent throttle all the way around the layout 3 times. It was literally a crawl up the 3 percent grade, but it never stalled once. Before the oil I couldn't run pretty much anything at less then 15 percent with out it stalling in one place or another. And I have zero hiccups when going through the yard across 5 turnouts in a row, which was a big problem area.

The bottom line, I am not sure of the long term gains, but I can tell you that this works just as good as how people describe the Wahl oil. It might even be the same stuff. Who knows. I don't know how much the Wahl oil costs, but at $4.79 a bottle for this stuff, you can't beat it.
  2. jthompson

jthompson New Member

My layout is also in a garage, so I have a little more dust than most and humidity and temp changes that seem to create a buildup off black crud on the tracks and the loco wheels. Gil Freitag a master modeler here in Houston uses Wahl oil, but not on all the track. His techique which I now use and swear by is to put a liitle wahl on your finger tips, rub it on the track you use to clean the wheels, Hold the engine, advance the throttle and let it go back and forth spinning its wheels through the oil patch. While I do it off layout, Gil actually does this on the layout but here is the kicker, as soon as the wheels are clean, he IMMEDIATLEY and vigorusly wipes the oil off the track. His comment "you don't want this all over railroad". Oil will collect even more dust and over time will make the problem impossible to resolve.

3. Ralph

Ralph Remember...it's for fun!

I got Wahl Oil for $2.49 at Beauty Mart. :) It isn't always easy to find though. Glad your experiment worked! Do keep Jim's comments in mind. I haven't wiped the oil off the track but I put on such a small amount that it hasn't seemed to cause any gunk problems after all these months.
  4. RailRon

RailRon Active Member

An alternative to Wahl Clipper Oil I found is a different brand:

Oster Clipper Lubricating Oil (Blade Lube).

I tried it and it works! If you can't find Wahl, perhaps this could be another possibility. Hint: Ask your hairdresser for the clipper oil he uses!

5. radar

radar Member

Oil on tracks ,I got this stuff from my LHS called rail-zip by pacer tech, walthers has it its 4.99 a bottle. put 1 drop on each rail and run your trains, my layout is inside so I don't really have a dust problem.I've got a cat hair problem!! the one drop will last me about a month I havent cleaned my rails in 3 months not sure where my bright boy is anymore!!
  6. YmeBP

YmeBP Member

Model power track cleaning stuff feels is the same as clipper oil.The stuff in the middle of this picture:

I've tried various things and found the perfect brick cleaning fluid to be the best combo. I use my fingers to spread the oil too.

I've also recently got a tip that baking soda lemon juiice and hot water will take off all the super corrosion on old brass and steel.
  7. Banjobob184

Banjobob184 New Member

Point of interest, go to your local Wal Mart. pick up a bottle of their sewing machine oil , which is plastic combatable, and works the same if not better as I use it on oll engines and my rail cleaning car for DCC .
  8. Ralph

Ralph Remember...it's for fun!

Have you been using it for some time Bob? Sounds interesting.
  9. Banjobob184

Banjobob184 New Member

Started using it when I changed over to DCC , about 14 months ago. I have a car that has the centre cut out, where a brass roller sits with a piece of cloth tied around it for cleaning my track. I put a new cloth on the roller one nite and spilled some of the Sewing Machine oil on to it. So I desided I would make it interesting and ran this car on my grade to see how good my engines handled a oily track. Much to my surprise , it cleaned the track better than it lubricated it as the cloth did not leave that much on the rails. So, I have been using it ever since, with pretty good results. I use a a small narrow mouth oil can from the wifes old sewing machine as the applicator, but just a couple of drops.
    Use a tooth pick dipped in the oil for oiling my steam engines . and for the diesels.