A Visit to "Traction in Action"

Discussion in 'Traction Thoroughfare' started by spitfire, Sep 1, 2006.

1. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

Tonight I paid a visit to the weekly Traction in Action layout improvement night as the guest of Chris "Interurban", Ernie and Brian at Brian's new house.

I met Chris at his place and off we went for Chinese dinner - delicious!!! My fortune cookie didn't say anything about being put to work cleaning track though!!!!

Attached Files:

2. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

Got a message from the supervisor to speed up the work!!!

Attached Files:

3. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

The layout features all traction running under the wires, with both pantographs and a new line that will have interurbans running poles. The guys are always improving the layout, and here is a brand new scene depicting a swimming pool at the local park.

Thanks to Chris for taking these photo's. Unfortunately, I was slaving away with the brightboy and had no time for such frivolity!!!sign1 sign1

Attached Files:

4. UP SD40-2

UP SD40-2 Senior Member

Val, even though you was put to work,sign1 the look on your face says you had a good time:thumb: . the layout looks NICE!:thumb: :D -Deano
  5. interurban

interurban Active Member

:D And a great job you did Val, Now I knew you were pining to get at it,, as your Layout is in planning mode.
    So putting all that pent up energy to work was to our advantage sign1

Always a pleasure to meet up with you Val, thanks for fighting all that traffic in rush hour to make the trip:thumb:
  6. RailRon

RailRon Active Member

It looks like you had a good time together. And it's a beautiful layout, too!

Val, I am glad you obviously are more skillful than I am. Some time back I jeopardized a friendship when I attempted the same (cleaning track with catenary strung above). Well, I managed to tear down almost a meter of that overhead line, because the wristband of my watch snagged somewhere on these @#%&&!:curse: wires... :oops::oops::oops::oops::oops:
    My friend told me in no uncertain terms that in the future I should keep my clumsy ham-fisted hands off his layout. At last he calmed down a bit and we restored our friendship some days later when I assisted in repairing the damage. :thumb:

Chris, now you'll understand why I'm following Colorado prototype - no catenary around anywhere! :D:D:D (When building a Swiss layout there would be no way around stringing wires above the rails! That's why I stay with American prototypes.)

7. jetrock

jetrock Member

Inspiring indeed! Hopefully once I get situated in the new basement (crosses fingers) I will be able to install some poles--a problem with working on the layout where I am now is lack of room to work on things!
  8. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

How do they get anything done when you are not there...? Is this how they treat all their "guests"! :eek: ;) :D sign1

Looks like a lot of fun though... That "Traction in Action" layout is something to see. I spoke briefly with Chris when he brought it to Railfair at Ottawa's Algonquin College a few years back.

9. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

Great pics, Val :) :) Looks like you had a great time :)
    The layout looks nice too!!
  10. Ralph

Ralph Remember...it's for fun!

What a nice looking layout! Love the photo of you in high speed Val! :)
  11. doctorwayne

doctorwayne Active Member

Nice looking layout, it's hard to believe that it's also portable. Val, is this the model railroader's version of having to "sing for your supper"? :rolleyes: (I would've gone hungry: I couldn't carry a tune in a bucket, and I don't have much track cleaning experience either.):thumb:

12. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

Nice pics. I have a question about traction modeling. Seeing you clean the track reminded me, how do they keet the overhead wire clean? I would think it might be too delicate to scrub with a brite boy.
  13. interurban

interurban Active Member

Good Question Russ:)

We use clipper oil on a cloth and pull it gently while wrapped around the wire, the tight spots we wipe underneath
    WE use the same stuff to clean the track..
  14. brakie

brakie Active Member

Val,Looks like you was having a grand time..:D

Have you bought your first car yet?