A visit to Dunder-Mifflin (aka MAC Papers)

Discussion in 'Tools of the Trade' started by BARX2, Jun 9, 2008.

1. BARX2

BARX2 Member

davelant recommended I look at MAC Papers, since they have a warehouse near where I live. I drove out there today. I walked into the office and suddenly I was in "The Office". It was almost exactly like the set of the TV show. I immediately looked around for Jan :twisted: but, alas, she was not there. The guy I talked to, or rather listened to, gave me a "short" course in paper and told me more than I could ever remember. Then he gave me some excellent sample books of the Lynx and Cougar paper lines. Large sheets of 65 pound card stock were only 22 cents each, so I bought 50 sheets of 20" X 26", which I will cut down to A4, B4, etc. Then he took me out to the warehouse and a guy with a forklift went around to the stacks (probably 25 feet high) and got my measly order, boxed it up, wrote the specs on the box and brought it to me. They treated me as if I was making a big order.

I did bring a model along to show them (Erik te Groen's Sputnik) and they were very interested. The salesman asked me where he could find out more about card modeling and I gave him some URLs and some words to Google.

After I try out the Lynx and Cougar I'll decide which to buy more of. It was a fun trip!

MAC Papers: The Largest Supplier of Fine Printing Papers and Envelopes in the Southeast

Dunder Mifflin: A Micro-Cap Regional Paper and Office Supply Distributor
  2. cdavenport

cdavenport Member

Is there anything unique you can share about the Lynx/Cougar lines that might be pertinent here?

Also, apart from size, is there any other quality about the cardstock you purchased that makes it superior to the stuff we get at Office Depot?

3. BARX2

BARX2 Member

It looks to be equivalent of the Wassau Bright White 65 pound card stock I've been buying from Office Max, but I wasn't able to get the Wassau in sizes larger than US letter (8.5" X 11"). The Cougar is slightly brighter at 98, vs. 96 for the Lynx. The Lynx, on the other hand, is minutely smoother. They're almost indistinguishable and completely interchangeable. The attraction for me was being able to get the large sheets. Also, compared to Office Max it was pretty cheap from MAC Papers. I got the equivalent of about 278 sheets of letter size card stock for $12 including tax. I can cut the large sheets to any sizes I need. Check out this web page for more info:

Domtar Cougar Opaque

Unfortunately, the page is all in Flash, but on the other hand, you can request free samples.
  4. cdavenport

cdavenport Member

thanks Barx2! Hey, you're just up the road from me and there is going to be an IPMS contest in Spartanburg within the next few months. Any interest in making a paper model showing? I should have my Hunley complete and I have a couple of others to bring along.
  5. BARX2

BARX2 Member

That sounds like fun, but I work weekends and have Mondays and Tuesdays off. Take a day off? HAH! We have a tiny staff and you have to be bleeding to get time off. wall1
  6. cdavenport

cdavenport Member

Well, I certainly understand that! I am "lucky;" I am a teacher and have weekends off. As it is for you, the same holds true for us with the following caveat: my bosses look for a blood trail!
  7. jdmcomp

jdmcomp New Member

Cutting down large sheets to print

Be careful when cutting down the large sheets. There is a grain in the paper and often it is much stiffer in one direction then the other. If you cut the wrong way it will not feed in many printers. (Experience, experience, experience)

It is fairly easy to note which way the sheets curl most easily. I have managed to get fairly heavy sheets to feed when cut correctly. Even light stock will jam if it is fed with the grain running in the wrong direction.

Looking forward to reviews of this card stock. I can not find the bright white Wassau I had been using and was my favorite (except in the 100 pack which is priced the same as the ond 250 pack).
  8. Art Decko

Art Decko Member

Good advice! Another reason: designers (good ones, anyway) orient parts on the page according to paper grain, so that long folds or curls go with the grain, not against.