A useful and easy-to-model...

Discussion in 'Trackside Photos & Details' started by doctorwayne, Jan 14, 2007.

1. doctorwayne

doctorwayne Active Member

industry to add to your layout, a team track was used from the beginning of rail transport, right up to the present day. If you have room for a siding and at least part of a roadway or parking lot alongside of it, you have room for a team track. The name is derived from the teams of horses that pulled the wagons that were used to bring the cargo to or from the team track. A team track can both ship and receive loads, so it can generate a lot of traffic, if you so desire.
    In its simplest form, the wagon or truck pulled up alongside of the freight car, and the load was transferred.

Hopper cars could also be handled at a team track, using simple conveyors and elevators to transfer the material from freight car to truck, or vice versa. Here, coal is being unloaded from a hopper...

and transferred to a truck.

Some teamtracks had a ramp for loading or unloading vehicles or farm machinery. In this example, crates of vegetables will simply be handled across the ramp and into a waiting truck.

The ramp in Elfrida, awaiting the next load of new farm machinery.

Elfrida also has a storage shed, made from a wreck-damaged boxcar, that's used to store goods after unloading, useful for minimizing per diem charges, as the freight car that brought the load can be emptied and returned to its owner-road quickly.

Dunnville, where most of these pictures were taken, also boasts an overhead crane, for unloading heavy or bulky cargo. (The model is by Kibri, I think)

In smaller towns, where traffic to the teamtrack may not be as frequent, the agent works out of the local station. However, in Dunnville, an office is right on-site. It also provides a lunchroom when the crane operator is on duty.

Modern teamtracks also can be set up with equipment to handle covered hoppers and tankcars, and probably just about any other type of car that you'd care to run, making this an almost universal industry.

2. Ralph

Ralph Remember...it's for fun!

Nifty stuff Wayne!!!!! I really like those simple wood loading docks and that terrific recycled box car shed! Love that crane over the gon!
  3. UP SD40-2

UP SD40-2 Senior Member

GREAT JOB!! Wayne

GREAT JOB WAYNE!!!:thumb: i would almost consider this to be a tutorial;). you have done an EXCELLENT JOB explaining ALL facets(i can think of)of a team track!:thumb: GREAT PICS to go with your explanations too!;) a team track is an OUTSTANDING siding to have as they are NOT hard to make, and without a crane take up very little space to do:thumb:. VERY WELL DONE WAYNE!:thumb: THANKS!:D -Deano
  4. TruckLover

TruckLover Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer

WOW WAYNE :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Great job, I enjoyed the nice explinations and AWSOME pics to go with them and I am considering modeling a team track now, hmmm, were to put it sign1

5. Nazgul

Nazgul Active Member

What an education! Speaking as one who is just beginning to learn and with little practical railroad knowledge...I can't begin to tell you how valuable this forum is in general and this post in particular. I knew what a team track was...but to actually "see" it and "hear" it described, is so very helpful. Excellent work! thank you
  6. MilesWestern

MilesWestern Active Member

The team track article was wonderful! I think this would make a great tutorial (How to make a team track to fit any space) and who makes the beautiful blue truck? Great job wayne! :cool: Nearly as impressive as your shoreline near Gern industries! :thumb:
  7. doctorwayne

Thanks for the warm reception, guys. Teamtracks can be as simple or complex as you wish, and can be used on any layout, no matter what era.
    One of the simplest set-ups that I ever saw was in a photo in one of Ian Wilson's books on the CNR branchlines in Southern Ontario, in the 1950's. It showed a boxcar, in a train, stopped at a level crossing, the door open and a couple of guys transferring stuff into a small truck.
    The blue truck, Miles, is a Sylvan resin kit. It comes as a flatbed, and the three that I built for Hoffentoth Bros. Coal & Ice all have slightly different boxes, higher or lower sides.

8. MilesWestern

MilesWestern Active Member

I've seen that before, I always thought it would make an excellent hiccup in an op session if the wayfreight had to do something like that on the main! :eek: :) Great Ideas wayne!
  9. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

The former team track in Kemptville on the original Bytown & Prescott RR (now a CPR siding) had a dirt filled ramp supported by wooden sides made from old railway ties.

I have started on a team track for my module, and will feature an "end of track" unloading ramp made from an old flat car. This will help get tractors and such directly off the end of incoming flat cars, rather than having to manoeuver them off the side to the loading dock.

I may also add a small derrick crane for helping with bulkier or heavier items.

Walthers has a great little set for a mid-sized team track:

Although apparently it is listed as "retired". You may still be able to find one at a retailer, or at least use the photo for ideas (if you haven't got enough from the good doctor ;) :D).

BTS team track office:

10. berraf

berraf Member

The ramp in Elfrida is brilliant!
    I must have one, no two, or... :)
  11. MasonJar

12. brakie

brakie Active Member

13. steamhead

steamhead Active Member

Hi...I've been looking for an industry to place on a spur I've got set up. After seeing this post (which I somehow missed in its original posting), I think I know what I'll be putting there -- you guessed it...A TEAM TRACK..!!!
    Thanks for the eye-opener..!! I love ALL those vehicles... :thumb:
  14. cnw1961

cnw1961 Member

Gus, thank you for taking this thread up to the top again with your post. Somehow I didn’t see it when Wayne posted this thread. Wayne, great lesson on team tracks, thank you :wave::wave:
  15. Biased turkey

Biased turkey Active Member

I almost missed that thread.
    A team track platform and ramp look like the perfect structure for a newbie scratchbuilder.
    Thanks for the picture brakie.
    And of course thanks to the thread starter.

MasonJar, I couldn't find the corresponding N scale Walthers N scale teamtrack kit.
  16. doctorwayne

Thanks to all who've taken a look at this thread. Please feel free to add your own pictures here, too, if you're modelling a team track, as there are lots of ways to do this.

17. MasonJar

I could not find it either, but there must be a myriad of details that you could add to a scratchbuilt platform. The most basic team track only requires ground cover - it's just a place for trucks to pull up to a car (box, flat, whatever) to unload it. Ramps, cranes, scale houses, etc are a luxury...! ;)

18. doctorwayne

Thanks so much for the kind words Charlie. :oops::oops::oops:

19. thumsup

thumsup Member

Thanks Doc

:cool:I haven't started my layout yet, the design thing is bafflingwall1

But I would like to build something and this thread has been a great help.

Joe :thumb:
  20. First I would like to thank all who have posted on the "team track" subject. This has got me thinking of so much more that can be added to a layout as filler without the need to model a large industry. I can't help but wonder would it be out of place (if anything is out of place on a team track) to have more then one spur in the team track yard? I can't help but think as the team track get more equipment (cranes and such) that you wouldn't want more tracks for loading and unloading. I've been thinking I want to build a diorama to use for photographing my weathering of rail cars and this would be a great way to show those cars being worked.