A tutorial from A to Z please

Discussion in 'Weathering Forum' started by Biased turkey, Nov 22, 2006.

1. Biased turkey

Biased turkey Active Member

Please, could it be possible to have a complete newbies oriented tutorial that would detail ( pictures ) each step of weathering a 40' boxcar for example, using pastels or an airbrush.
    Some members posting on The Gauge are great weathering gurus, but we newbies only see and admire the final result.
    Of course that would require 2 people: the guru doing the work and a 2nd person taking the pictures.
  2. MilesWestern

MilesWestern Active Member

Not a bad Idea, I could probably do an article, and certianly have a bunch of people jump in, and get their boxcars dirty! :)
  3. Gary S.

Gary S. Senior Member

It may be a good idea to have SEVERAL people do tutorials so we could see a variety of techniques.
  4. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

Use the search tool, and/or look in the Academy for posts by TomPM. He did several threads (probably a few years ago now) that list the steps, ingredients, and tips & tricks to getting a great result. When I have a bit more time, I'll try to find some links.

5. Gary S.

Gary S. Senior Member

6. MilesWestern

MilesWestern Active Member

Oh, that was the idea! :oops: I just wanted to do ONE, not them all! sign1 Yikes!

Anyway, so who wants to jump in? :)
  7. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

8. doctorwayne

doctorwayne Active Member

I think that it's a great idea if anybody would like to do a weathering tutorial and post it here. As some of you may have noticed, I've not posted much in this particular forum and there are two reasons for this. Number 1: I have a computer monitor that usually has no red component, so what I see in photos is not what is actually posted. Viewing my own pictures, I know that the colours are nowhere near "true", so it would be very unreasonable of me to comment on the weathering of others. Rest assured, I do view all of the pictures posted in this forum. A new monitor won't be happening until sometime early in the new year. Number 2: While I have a new camera, I've not taken too many photos with it, as my ancient computer is unable to retrieve pictures from it. Without the ability to view the photos full-size and in true colour, I've not yet been able to learn what the camera is capable of. Again, it will be early in the new year before this situation will be rectified. When that happens, and if I become competent with the camera, I'll be pleased to put together a weathering tutorial. In the meantime, there are lots of very able weathering experts here, so have at it! :thumb:

I've also created a "sticky" for links to weathering tutorials, so please feel free to add your links there. It might also be a good idea if you do a weathering tutorial in this Forum to also post a link to it in the "sticky": that way, your expertise will still be readily available to newcomers, even if it slips off of Page One as time goes by.

9. Biased turkey

Biased turkey Active Member

10. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery