A tree is...........(pines)

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
I have to work up the ambition to do a full grown O scale pine, but maybe some young ones, about 20 scale feet tall.......
Starting with a package of three Faller HO pines.

Attachments

• pines1.jpg
    pines1.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 360

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
If I were modeling these as HO scale trees, I would cut a lot more out, but because they are younger,O scale trees I only remove enough to give them a little character.

Attachments

• pines3.jpg
    pines3.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 341

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
davidstrains,
Modelbuilding is just like walking, know what steps to take, and take them one at a time.

tyson,
Did I say pines?!, Redwoods, yeah, that's the ticket!:D :D :D

Marty w,
Nope, only took 30-40 min's.

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Very nice looking trees Pete. Maybe the attached pic will help you work up the nerve to tackle some full-grown pines.
As you point out, the trees as they come out of the box are far too regular for anything but a well-groomed front lawn. Roughing them up like you did does wonders.
But I'm always amazed that so many modellers try to duplicate this perfect look, when most pines out in the bush have far fewer branches. Jack Pines for example have virtually no branches for the first 3/4 of the trunk's height, making for a lot less work when scratchbuilding!!!!

cheers
Val

PS - if you have Paul's CD he goes into a pretty cool tree-making tutorial.

Attachments

• pine.jpg
    pine.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 183

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Val,
Nice tree! I have done several very similar to that. The technique I use can take a lot of time. A tree like the one in your pic would probably take about an hour. I have one HO tree that took 8 hours to branch and foliate.
Pete