A tree is "built",,"planted?",, "started?"

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
I don't have a timer on the digital, so can't set up to photo while I'm working, so;
After gathering natural materials, which bear a reasonable facimile to a tree, I added branches to what I had chosen as the basic "trunk". This tree is being built in O scale for the On30 diorama (see G/O/S scale: The On30 Conspiracy, page 4, and 5), it is about 64 scale feet tall, and the trunk is about 10 scale inches in diameter at the base.
The next step is to apply Woodland Scenics Polyfiber. The process here, will be to take small amounts of polyfiber, and expand them, to create the finer branch structure. For a tree of this size, I'm estimating about five hours of work. I'll shoot a couple of pics as this progresses, and one of the completed branches.
Once satisfied with the branch structure, I'll procede with applying leaves.

Attachments

• tree1.jpg
    tree1.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 369

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
At the end of the second hour.......... if you "water" it, it will grow.
As each bit of polyfiber is added to the tree, it is further expanded, and shaped in place.

Attachments

• tree3.jpg
    tree3.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 341

davidstrains

Aug 29, 2002
Stafford, VA
Visit site
The "break-in" solution in back of the tree is a major necessity for all tree builder wanna-be's. It lets you see your work more clearly:D :D :D

Neat tutorial Pete. I am watching the whole thing.:) :)

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Fantastic looking tree, Pete! :cool:
I know what kind of patience that requires!

(& it looks like you've got a little "patience in a bottle" there, huh?
Kinda puts a new definition to "bourbon & branch", don't it? :D)

btw, Pete, if you're up for still another recommendation on some good Ky "shine", allow me to introduce my "patience" for this evening's track laying session...Woodford Reserve, 90 proof straight bourbon.
It's made by Labrot & Graham, in Versailles (& 'round these parts, that's pronounced ver-SALES, not ver-SI:D :rolleyes: :D )
Having been around since 1812, they have the honor of being the oldest operating distillery in N. America!

Attachments

• mvc-025f.jpg
    mvc-025f.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 321

davidstrains

Aug 29, 2002
Stafford, VA
Visit site
uuuummmmm I guess the 2 hour mark is the "planted" stage of tree building:D :D :D :D

Do we dare ask how much farther you got on either the tree or the Knob Creek:D :D or both???:) :) :)

Fine looking tree though. Looking forward to the "grand finish".:) :)

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
At the end of the second hour.........I needed an attitude adjustment break (hic) so. Next day, another hour, and the branch structure is done. The next step is adding the leaves. This is done, by spraying the tree with Testors GLOSSCOTE (yes,gloss),and then sifting Woodland Scenics coarse turf over the wet tree. The Glosscote is sticky enough to hold the fine particles, and doesn't "milk" up with multiple coats. This tree will take about five applications of glosscote and turf, and a final overspray of glosscote.

Attachments

• tree4.jpg
    tree4.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 290

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
OK. It took about a half hour to apply the leaves. The whole tree took close to three, and a half hours to get the fine branches and leaves done. With about two hours assembly time of the basic "armature", the tree took about five and a half hours to build.
While O scale is "twice" HO, it is 8 times the volume, and consumed a large amount of polyfiber, and coarse turf. (and a lot more time too !!):D The picture shows the finished tree.
For my next magic trick, I'll get a rodent to stop smoking !, otherwise known as pulling a habit out of a rat.;) :) :D :D

Attachments

• tree5.jpg
    tree5.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 291
C

Catt

The tree looks awesome,the Shay is FANTASTIC ,your humor is ahh interesting ???? :D :D :D :D

davidstrains

Aug 29, 2002
Stafford, VA
Visit site
Pete, this is a verry good tutorial for a lot of folks that have asked about making trees - what ever the scale. That tree, just because of its size is an excellent example of how it is done. Very straight forward, no magic, just a good bit of modeling done right before our eyes.

Of course the little nip now and then improves the overall quality of the work by at least 120%:D :D :D

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
The last step is, of course, installing the new tree on the diorama.
A hole is drilled in the thin shell, and the tree is glued in place. Once the glue has completely dried, I will surround the base of the trunk with sand, and add thinned white glue. This forms a pretty solid base for the tree.

Attachments

• tree6.jpg
    tree6.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 116