A Trains issue made for me!

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Ralph, Jan 18, 2004.

1. Ralph

Ralph Remember...it's for fun!

I haven't often bought copies of Trains magazine in the past but I subscribed recently when a neighbor kid was selling magazine subscriptions as a school fund raiser. My subscription started with the Jan 2004 issue. At my local hobby shop yesterday I saw back issues including the Dec. 2003 which features a multi-page detailed description of virtually ALL railroading in the Twin Cities (four Class 1 roads and short lines including the MN Commercial which runs within half a mile of my house.) It mentions operations, traffic, interesting locales online...etc. Great maps too! As an added bonus the last page, "30 years ago in Trains" , featured a large color pic of Penn Central E7s on a TrailVan train! Cool! :thumb:
    I haven't seen mention of this magazine in posts here. Any fans?
  2. Dave Flinn

Dave Flinn Member

Trains Magazine

I used to subscribe to Trains, many years ago, and then let my subscription drop. In recent years, I have taken it up again and find it to be one of the best magazines out there. It has lots of good pictures and maps; and, if you're interested in the "business" of real railroading, the columns are interesting, too. I don't know why there hasn't been mention of it here on The Gauge, but perhaps it's just because the emphasis seems to be more on modeling (which ain't bad).
  3. trainworm

trainworm Member

I have had a subscription for a couple of years now. i really like the articles on what the different railroads are doing, and the pictures definately help with modeling.

those trackside guides they have been doing are pretty neat. i think they have done Minneapolis/St Paul, Omaha/Council Bluffs, Detroit, and Cincinatti so far.
  4. ceebeenq

ceebeenq Member

" i think they have done Minneapolis/St Paul, Omaha/Council Bluffs, Detroit, and Cincinatti so far."
    Trainworm....they also have done Chicago. (Yes!)
    Re: Trains......I've been subscribing since 1989 or so. And I try to locate older issues when I can find them at swap meets, ebay, etc.
    The current magazine is excellent I think. The map items knock my socks off. Some of my very hardcore railfan friends prefer CTC Board, Diesel Era, and a few others.
    I think they look down their noses at Trains after a while but I still think it's super.
    For those that like to read the older magazines, the era when David P Morgan was editor was terrific. (the 50's thru the 70's roughly) In fact, I like his editorials as much as anything in the older issues. :D He did not mince words. :thumb: :D
  5. RailRon

RailRon Active Member

I was a subscriber to Trains from 1971 to some time in the middle '80s.

cbnq, you're right with David P Morgan - under his editorship the magazine was great. But then it somehow changed. Oh well, in the eighties there were some big mergers of railroads all over the USA - and they were discussed quite a lot in Trains, of course.

For months the contents of Trains could have been printed without change in an economy magazine. :(
    That's why I dropped my subscription. After all, I wanted to get technical information about American railroading, not economy news. :mad:

I admit that I missed lots of infos about modern railroading, and I understand that the quality of Trains has risen to new heights. Perhaps I'll give it a try in the near future again... :rolleyes:

PS: I got myself a few issues of Classic Trains - these are fantastic for oldies like me! :D :D :D
  6. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

Since we are hawking our favorite mags, here's mine.

Attached Files: