A Time to Spend

Kanawha

Apr 1, 2007
Glendale, AZ
I'm usually very conservative when buying trains. I'll debate something for months at a time, whether its worth the money, what else I could use the money for, etc. However, there comes a time when I have to stop saving, being cautious, and just get what I want because I've missed many opportunities before. wall1 So the day after Christmas I've decided to buy a BLI 2-10-4, a Spectrum Mountain, and a Life Like Heritage Berkshire all at once. My New Years resolution might be to save money once again, but heck, I've been good all year, its time to live. :mrgreen:

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to you all!

Mountain Man

Jan 19, 2007
One of my "rules" has always been: If you don't get it when you see it, it probably won't be there when you go back.

Go for it and enjoy! :thumb:

ed acosta

Aug 4, 2005
Washington-British Columbia
Buying locos TODAY is the SECOND best time to buy them. YESTERDAY would have been the best time. I recall when a brass LMB Union Pacific 4-12-2 that was selling for $129 in the old days. I thought it was way too much to spend. (I paid many times more than that for a used one later on.) Rivarossi Cab Forwards, Big Boys, and Challengers were going for $39, so I bought them up because they were cheap.

Remember Ed's Principle for Buying Trains: NOW is GOOD, YESTERDAY is BETTER.

csiguy

Jun 4, 2007
leechburg,pa.
i agree with you guys about buying it when you see it. this past august i saw some 100 ton hoppers i wanted at my local hobby shop. i told the guy ill be back in a few days to get them. well i did go back and they were gone! and they were'nt sure when they were going to get more in. i learned a lesson the hard way.

todd

kmorris

Oct 14, 2005
Nothing is worse than having to kick yourself after passing on something, only to find its not there when you go back.

Don7

Dec 29, 2007
Northern BC
I'm usually very conservative when buying trains. I'll debate something for months at a time, whether its worth the money, what else I could use the money for, etc. However, there comes a time when I have to stop saving, being cautious, and just get what I want because I've missed many opportunities before. wall1 So the day after Christmas I've decided to buy a BLI 2-10-4, a Spectrum Mountain, and a Life Like Heritage Berkshire all at once. My New Years resolution might be to save money once again, but heck, I've been good all year, its time to live. :mrgreen:

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to you all!

All good engines, note with the Proto engine make sure you are getting the latest run, the one with the traction tires installed, the older versions are almost useless as far as pulling power goes, look great, pull poor. The other engines especially the Spectrum are IMHO great engines, look good, pull well.

Jim Krause

Apr 7, 2005
Polson, MT
Yep, I remember those 110 dollar brass Shays of 35 years ago. Of course I was raising a family at the time and couldn't afford many of the 35 dollar plastic or cast loco's either. Oh well, such is life.

Kanawha

Apr 1, 2007
Glendale, AZ
Well, here are the two newest editions to my roster.

IMG_1488.jpg

#3023, a Broadway Limited Imports Blueline T1 2-10-4

IMG_1507.jpg

and #543, a Bachmann Spectrum 4-8-2 Heavy Mountain

Both are amazing pullers, love to run, and hate tight curves, haha :mrgreen: I opted not to get a Life Like Heritage 2-8-4 for a while. Instead I plan to get some heavyweight passenger cars to pull behind the 4-8-2. :thumb:

Here's some additional shots. Sorry, I'm not much of a photographer.

IMG_1475.jpg

IMG_1473.jpg

#543 with #1178, a BLI Mikado in the background entering a tunnel.

IMG_1512.jpg

IMG_1505.jpg

Kanawha

Apr 1, 2007
Glendale, AZ
I took advantage of Factory Direct Trains after Christmas sale, the 2-10-4 was half off its original price! I really recommend them as a store, they shipped out really fast and they always have a good sale of some kind going. :mrgreen:

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
Dec 12, 2006
Cincinnati,Ohio
some great C&O engines you got there.i really want to get more C&O stuff (your pics are really puttin a strain on my wallet :D ) but that layout is on hold while i build my logging layout. so no berks but i got shays and heislers :thumb: .great pics,have fun wit'em--josh

nkp174

Oct 10, 2006
Cincinnati, O.
I too saw the FDT sale and nearly hopped on it. I called up my dad primarily to keep me from ordering it. If it goes down to $100 or less, like the geese did, I'll get one. $150 for a T-1 is great. Look forward to hearing about your future K-4!

ed acosta

Aug 4, 2005
Those are two handsome C&O locomotives. I'll bet you are glad you didn't hold on to your money a moment longer!

Now, gentlemen, its time to put a 'wish-list' together for the 'Economic Stimulus' checks the President-elect has promised. Remember: to be effective against the economy, we are supposed to spend it immediately and not bank it. That seems to be consistent with our new-found philosophy, doesn't it?

To my Canadian friends: I offer my sympathy. You missed your opportunity! I saw plenty of "Obama for Prime Minister" T-shirts paraded around Victoria just a couple of months ago. Where were the votes?

ed acosta

Aug 4, 2005
Those are two handsome C&O locomotives. I'll bet you are glad you didn't hold on to your money a moment longer!

Now, gentlemen, its time to put a 'wish-list' together for the 'Economic Stimulus' checks the President-elect has promised. Remember: to stimulate the economy, we are supposed to spend it immediately and not bank it. That seems to be consistent with our new-found philosophy, doesn't it?

To my Canadian friends: I offer my sympathy. You missed your opportunity! I saw plenty of "Obama for Prime Minister" T-shirts paraded around Victoria just a couple of months ago. Where were the votes?

Kanawha

Apr 1, 2007
Glendale, AZ
Looking at Walthers heavyweight passenger cars. They look really nice. Though I want to make sure they are shorties like the old athearns. Does anybody have some?

ed acosta

Aug 4, 2005

Now, gentlemen, its time to put a 'wish-list' together for the 'Economic Stimulus' checks the President-elect has promised. Remember: to stimulate the economy, we are supposed to spend it immediately and not save it. That seems to be consistent with our newfound philosophy, doesn't it?

To my Canadian friends: I offer my sympathy. You missed your opportunity for a stimulus check! I saw plenty of "Obama for Prime Minister" T-shirts paraded around Victoria just a couple of months ago. Where were your votes?

ed acosta

Aug 4, 2005

Now, gentlemen, its time to put a 'wish-list' together for the 'Economic Stimulus' checks the President-elect has promised. Remember: to stimulate the economy, we are supposed to spend it immediately and not save it. That seems to be consistent with our newfound philosophy, doesn't it?

To my Canadian friends: I offer my sympathy. You missed your opportunity for stimulus checks! I saw plenty of "Obama for Prime Minister" T-shirts paraded around Victoria just a couple of months ago. Where were your votes?