A Temp-Low question

Discussion in 'FAQs' started by TrainClown, Nov 4, 2005.

1. TrainClown

TrainClown Member

I bought this stuff at the LHS tonight. It is called Temp-Low and is a low temperature lead casting element. Has anyone used this stuff for casting parts? I would like to cast parts with it. In rubber or plaster. I would appreciate any info you have on the use of this stuff before I go get all silly.[​IMG]

TrainClown [​IMG]
  2. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

I haven't used it. Most people I know who have used it used it to add weight to locomotives for more pulling power. Just remember to use the usual safety precautions when working with lead.
  3. zedob

zedob Member

Go to smoothon.com. They have all kinds of casting rubber. Most can handle low temp casting alloys. They have a putty that can be used as a mold once it cures. You might want to check into that stuff. Especially if you are planning on copying some detail parts from the junk box. Just mix, smash around the part, let it cure, then cut the original out. http://www.smooth-on.com/PDF/Poyo%20Putty%20-%20TB.pdf

Ok, maybe not quite that easy.

They have instructions for different molding procedures, so take my simplified explination as a guide to what you are needing to search for.

They do have a material called Sorta-clear that you might also want to check

4. jim currie

jim currie Active Member

if its like the old cero safe a low temp bismith alloy that melts in hot water it will warp plastics but will not burn wood. hope this helps
  5. doctorwayne

doctorwayne Active Member

I think that Jim is right: it's a bismuth alloy and doesn't contain any lead. Never used it, since I use cast lead for car and loco weights.
  6. kenabody

kenabody New Member

Temp low casting

By now you've probably found out that you can use temp-low to cast parts. I have used plaster molds in the past and have successfully cast sand and steam domes. Temp-low expands slightlly when it solidifies. Temp can be used to fill plastic voids, but you must be careful that you don't heat it too hot, or you will warp the plastic. Best to have a wet cloth towel handy to cool things off. I usually wind up fussing around with the metal once it has been poured. By heating a metal rod, you can reliquify the metal in localized spots, if you need to. Hope this helps

7. hminky

hminky Member

Back in the 1950's they had an article on making molds out of cardboard to make molds for passenger car sides and other flat pieces, George Allen's old Tuxedo Junction series. It is also available more cheaply and in larger quantities from industrial suppliers.

Just a thought