A slew of Stukas!

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by cjwalas, Jul 10, 2007.

1. cjwalas

cjwalas Member

The collection is growing and I had to take the models off of the Stuka Shelf in order to reorganize, so I thought I'd get a shot of them all together for those that have asked about a group shot!
    It's really hard to get a good shot of a field of models like this. It's much more impressive in person.
    Here's just the 1:33 scale Stukas. I still have 3-4 more to go to finish off the collection...that is until Dr. Zarkov releases his new one?!
  2. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

That is awesome! You really should build some airport structures for them :) I think there is one out there....
  3. dansls1

dansls1 Member

Cool - very impressive.
  4. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

Very very nice collection!!!

You really have a museum there.
  5. jyduchene

jyduchene Member

Thanks for the post. That is impressive. Did the axis have that many stukas?
    I feel an urge to divebomb. John
  6. alaimo@jcu.edu

alaimo@jcu.edu I need a Pin up girl. . .

that is too cool!
    I know that the corsair f4u was nicknamed whisteling death by the oposing force in ww2 didn't the stucka have a similar name? isn't that why it had props on the front of the landing gear?
  7. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

What were some of your favorite builds?
  8. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Not sure whats more impressive... Some of the builds, The Fact that your Stuka-nuts or Looking at the pics makes dive siren noises in my head thanks to Forgotten Hope for Battlefield 1942.
  9. B-Manic

B-Manic Peripheral Visionary

The models are great. :cool: Build what you like, that's what I say. Are you going to build one for every one the germans built?

In all, almost 6,000 Ju 87 (Stukas) were built between 1936 and 1944. The wind-powered siren, under its nose, at wailed during dives to frighten its victims. These were named "Trumpets of Jericho" by Junkers and were intended as psychological warfare.
  10. alaimo@jcu.edu

alaimo@jcu.edu I need a Pin up girl. . .

thanks for the trumpets info b-manic
  11. cjwalas

cjwalas Member

While it's true that almost 6,000 were built (mostly B2s), there were never more than 400 in active service. So maybe I only need to build 400?!sign1
    The sirens were very effective in those theaters that the Stuka held sway, but once the weaknesses of the plane were revealed, the sirens lost their edge and in fact, were never even applied to later models. The sirens were also removed from a lot of the planes in North Africa due to jamming from the sand.
    I know the Stuka had a couple of nicknames, but I can't recall specifically what they were offhand. I know the Germans had a similar nickname for the Stormovik...

My favorite builds so far have been the GPM versions. I've done four so far! The Splinter Green Baltic Campaign, the Tank Buster G version, and two sizes of the 87B Trop version!
    But my real favorite so far is the Maly Modelarz B Trop that I recolored and added detail to;
    It was just a plain old fun build and I'm really happy with the way it came out. It's not the best replica of the original, but I still like it!
  12. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

I flew the Tank Buster on a FH map ... very hard to manuever around without a lot of room because the plane handles like a train. Coming up behind a T34/76 or SU76 and letting off a burst sending it up in flames is quite a thrill. I'd rather have a couple 1000lb bombs instead though because it always took a single run per tank and that was if I was lucky on the previous go.

Love the Modelarz build though. I'm still impressed on how you turned a somewhat plain pre-print and ran an impressive finish. I'm afraid I have only digitally repaired a Modelarz model because the paper's nap was so beaten it was not worth attempting to build.

I'd like to see more shots of the G though. My favorite of the Stuka's.