A short is a short is a short but not this time..........

t-whistler

:cry: This might be a little long in telling but I believe it is necessary.

I have been using the Digitrax Empire Builder for about 4 years. I have had
different types of problems including electrical shorts of one kind or another
and managed to get everything working again usually from using search on
a number of different MRR forums.

Today, after about 5 weeks of absence I finally made it to the train room. I turned on the power and ran several different engines, after 10 mins I lost
all power, and the idicator light, on the DB 150, for being off line was RED.
I did the usual things to find a short without solving the problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I finally disconnected all wires from the track and I still have a short/ off line
indicator light being on. I have used a different power pack, different power connecting wires and STILL the RED light stays on.

Can someone give me any ideas.

del

theBear

Oct 1, 2004
In the woods of Maine
t-whistler said:
:cry: This might be a little long in telling but I believe it is necessary.

I have been using the Digitrax Empire Builder for about 4 years. I have had
different types of problems including electrical shorts of one kind or another
and managed to get everything working again usually from using search on
a number of different MRR forums.

Today, after about 5 weeks of absence I finally made it to the train room. I turned on the power and ran several different engines, after 10 mins I lost
all power, and the idicator light, on the DB 150, for being off line was RED.
I did the usual things to find a short without solving the problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I finally disconnected all wires from the track and I still have a short/ off line
indicator light being on. I have used a different power pack, different power connecting wires and STILL the RED light stays on.

Can someone give me any ideas.

del

Could the problem be inside the command/throttle unit? I don't know the configuration of that system, so this is a shot in the dark.

capt_turk

Nov 14, 2004
Green Cove Springs, Fla.
I have had the same problem recently. Try turning the track power off and on with the controller.

I pulled my hair out trying to find the short myself. Even disconnected the track wires from the controller. Un plugged it and left it for a half a hour. Still wouldn't come on line. Then I thought "what the heck, I'll try turning the track power on". To my surprise, everything started working again.
All I can figure out is that if there is a short for long enough, the controller trips off line and sets the track power to off, and will not automatically reset. This has worked for me several times.

I didn't have this problem till I started running G scale with it. If it goes off line from overheating, it will reset the track power to offline, also.