A short is a short is a short but not this time..........

Discussion in 'DCC & Electronics' started by t-whistler, Aug 1, 2005.

1. t-whistler

t-whistler New Member

:cry: This might be a little long in telling but I believe it is necessary.

I have been using the Digitrax Empire Builder for about 4 years. I have had
    different types of problems including electrical shorts of one kind or another
    and managed to get everything working again usually from using search on
    a number of different MRR forums.

Today, after about 5 weeks of absence I finally made it to the train room. I turned on the power and ran several different engines, after 10 mins I lost
    all power, and the idicator light, on the DB 150, for being off line was RED.
    I did the usual things to find a short without solving the problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I finally disconnected all wires from the track and I still have a short/ off line
    indicator light being on. I have used a different power pack, different power connecting wires and STILL the RED light stays on.

Can someone give me any ideas.

2. theBear

theBear Member

Could the problem be inside the command/throttle unit? I don't know the configuration of that system, so this is a shot in the dark.
  3. capt_turk

capt_turk Member

I have had the same problem recently. Try turning the track power off and on with the controller.

I pulled my hair out trying to find the short myself. Even disconnected the track wires from the controller. Un plugged it and left it for a half a hour. Still wouldn't come on line. Then I thought "what the heck, I'll try turning the track power on". To my surprise, everything started working again.
    All I can figure out is that if there is a short for long enough, the controller trips off line and sets the track power to off, and will not automatically reset. This has worked for me several times.

I didn't have this problem till I started running G scale with it. If it goes off line from overheating, it will reset the track power to offline, also.