A short dilemma...

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
I need some tech help. My layout/module has no curves or reverse loops, it is simply a 3 track main with one spur. In it are 5 #6 Peco turnout and 1 Shinohara double slip switch. They are all manually thrown. My trouble starts when I throw a Peco to diverge from the main. My olm meter shows a dead short. Everything is fine when all points are to the main except that my one spur will then show a short. Could this have anything to do with the fact that Pecos are power routing? Should gaps be cut somewhere? Glad I found this with 7 weeks to go 'til showtime...

Arlaghan

Sep 9, 2003
S. FL
Shaygetz,

My guess is you are right. If you can make heads or tails out of this, take a look at this diagram. It appears that the frog rails are one and the same... and if you aren't using insulated rail joiners, it will cause a short... don't see how it would make a difference which way it's thrown.

EDIT: This diagram is meant for DCC purposes, but I put it here as it shows the peco turnout in question.

See the page at:
http://www.wiringfordcc.com/switches_peco.htm

Attachments

• pecoelec.gif
    pecoelec.gif
    7.6 KB · Views: 161

Arlaghan

Sep 9, 2003
S. FL
Woo Hoo! I guess I'm not totally useless! LOL! I'm glad I could help!

Actually, you can thank countless hours of boredom at my last job just surfing the net! I happened across that website and the name was so to-the-point that it was committed to memory. ;)

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
All facing points DCC or not will require "Insulated Joiners between them" That is why you are getting a short, no need to cut the track at all. Then you will need to add further power feeders to either side of each point.

feeders.jpg

Shamus

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Thanks Shamus. The website was great but I had already installed my track and was not looking forward to pulling up 5 turnouts. 'Tween you and Arlaghan, I'll be back up and running in no time, well before GATS in December.

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Just use a dremel to cut the tracks in between the facing points and add some squadron green putty, then file it off later.
Shamus

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Here is the track plan. The new gaps are shown in red. All switches are Peco C100 rail with the double slip crossover being a Shinohara C100. I am stumped and wondering how it could be happening with no return circuit of any kind.

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 118

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Can you mark out where the track feeds are?
On the top main line you have a gap between 2 turnouts that you shouldn't need, but you probably need a gap in the top left beyond the turnout if that track continues onto another module.
I have no idea if the doulble slip needs any wiring; the peco insulfrog ones are set to be simple.

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Poverty Acres, North Carolina
Visit site
If that x-over is your double slip then try gaps/insulators where the 4 marks are. If that is not a double slip leave off the green gap/insulator.

On Peco you have to feed from the "heel" and have insulators at the end of the "toes" unless the track hooked to the toe dead-ends.

Attachments

• ghi.jpg
    ghi.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 104

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
I think David's fund the problem, the gap in the top main of the three mains needs to be moved to the other side of the left side turnout. All power must come from the point side, each rail diverting from a frog should be gapped if there is a feed downstream from it. Where you have a "ladder" you do not need gaps till the end. In the case of your top main, if the turnout to the right is trhown for diverging route, the turnout to its left would be dead, not short.

The Shinohara shouldn't be causing any problem. I have the code 3 (Walthers, but by Shinohara) and it requires no special wiring or gaps.