A Sherman Tank

Discussion in 'Zealot Archives' started by Soaring, Apr 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soaring

Soaring Middle School Student

Yeah, yes, I'm sorry I'm posting something about plastic...But I can't find the information ANYWHERE on the net! So, Pardon the Interruption, but on a plastic kit, would you assemble it first, then paint it, or paint it then assemble it?
  2. Tim Crowe

Tim Crowe Member

Paint the main body after assembley and cleaning off any glue lines

All the little wheels and suspension parts are best removed from the spues then 'clean up' and painted before assembly.

I used to mount them on cocktail sticks or stick them to cellotape to hold them while painting

For a weathered look try dry-brushing the parts to show off the detail

It would be interesting to see a comparison of a paper and plastic side by side

Good luck with the model - I have fond memories of building plastic kits when I was younger
  3. Soaring

Soaring Middle School Student

Thank you Very much Tim! My local hobbyist as well told me to paint the body first. I guess I'd better head back to BCt for some Tamiya paints :D

As for the comparrison...Yes, I am building the plastic Sherman by Tamiya, and building the highly detailed GPM 188 Sherman Model, which I'll show to the cashier/assistant person at BCT. I'll post some pictures of everything as I go.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.