a sample of my trip west

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Here's a couple of shots from my latest trip. Unfortunately my injury happened before I got to the "rail part" of the trip, so wasn't able to get much picture taking done.
This is the Durango & Silverton #486 on the Highline in the Animas river gorge.

Attachments

• d&shiline.jpg
    d&shiline.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 116

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Thank you for the pics, Pete. I love that shot of the High Line! You got the most beautiful spot perfectly!

And yes, Don, the D&S is a MUST if you are in this part of the country. Absolutely spectacular scenery! (Oh well, and don't forget the trains - they also could be of some interest... :D :D :D)

However, I heard from a friend that you have to book your seats well in advance. Is that still so, Pete?

Hope your foot is recovering fast!

Ron

belg

Apr 28, 2001
New Jersey USA
Visit site
Nice unspoiled landscapes just like in Montana. The Garden State should definitely be renamed to the toxic waste state because I think soon you can chew the air around here. Coming back from the Jersey shore is such a pleasure when you get to the refineries.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
I left Jersey 50 years ago and it sounds like things haven't changed that much. I remember the smells of the refineries, the stench around Sycacus and the fact that you couldn't drown in the Passaic River because of the waste being dumped in it.

The air around the big cities in the west does have its problems, and we don't have the Jersey shore that I dearly miss (along with decent cheescake, NJ tomatoes and kosher pickles), but I don't think I'd trade what we have here for going back to the things I did like.

Don

jim currie

Jun 29, 2003
arizona
Visit site
the ride on the D&S is good pic are exlant 550 is called the million dollar highway a lot of people have lost ther lives on it in winter when we lived in montrose in 92 there was a plow driver killed in snow slide ,have rode C&T(cumbres &toltec) and D&S like C&T better steeper grades double header on locos got to do the snow special once that was a blast.

ps
ezdays the grand canyon railway in williams is closer and have hear it is ezyer to get tickets to ride ,might be ezyer to get peggy to go there

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
I was told that tickets for the GCRY, and the D&SNG needed a month advance booking. The train was full, in both cases.
Jim,
US 550,, steep grades, sharp curves, and when I passed the sign that informed me that I was over 10,000 feet elevation, I was suddenly aware there were NO guard ralis on the highway.........sweet!
Belg,
Even though radio humorist Jean Shepherd once referred to New Jersey as "the lost continent", there are still some really beautiful areas there. On one trip east, I exited I80, and drove south along the Delaware, then I78 east. Very scenic drive, no stench!.
For all,
I didn't get a permanent cast on the ankle till I got back home, it'll be another 6 weeks before I'm out of the cast, and moving normally.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Jim,

Yeah, Williams is a lot closer, but we took that ride twice already. It isn't as scenic as the Durango ride, that is until you approach the Grand Canyon. Wow! I'm sure we'll go again, but If I wanted ez, I'd take the Verde Valley RR just about two hours north of us.

D:cool: N