A riveting question

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by TableTopAirCrew, Nov 19, 2007.

1. TableTopAirCrew

TableTopAirCrew New Member

I'm a novice at this, having taken card modeling up in the last month or so. I've gotten hooked not only on modeling but building the Piper Pawnee (Zoran Sivcev's version; I've made six attempts, three successful). While tracing the model using Inkscape (so I could change the livery) it occurred to me that the rivets possibly/probably shouldn't be on the model because a half inch rivet would only be slightly larger than a hundredth of an inch at 1:48 scale and being painted the same color as the body panel would be virtually invisible. I suppose the obvious answer would be to put the rivets on (slightly lighter/darker) and if they're visible, Great, if not, well... But the thing is I wonder if the rivets really stand out are they scalistically real.

What do you guys think--rivets or no rivets at 1:48 scale?

2. dansls1

dansls1 Member

Well, first thought in my head I'm drawn to my wargaming miniature painting days. When painting a 3D object, the first thought I had as an engineer is 'why paint shading onto a model, the real world is going to shade it'. But after studying, talking to a few people and reading some interviews with professional miniature paintings, it finally got explained - when dealing with small scale, you have to overdo detailing beyond realistic to really make it look good. Therefore, my gut reaction is that a 'realistic' no / non-visible riveted model probably won't look as good as one with exagerated rivets based on the same principal.
  3. TableTopAirCrew

Thanks for the input. I wondered if exaggeration was the way to go...Black rivets on Sivcev's white Pawnee didn't strike my attention until I started thinking about it logically.

Thanks again,
  4. cdavenport

cdavenport Member

There is a simple rule here. The finished size of whatever airplane you build, in whatever scale, is the same size as the real article if you were standing a distance away and spanning its dimensions with your fingers.

I flew big jets for 20 years in the USAF and things like rivets and panel lines were an issue among modelers but not for me. You cannot see them unless they are really prominent; helicopters are an example that comes to mind. Otherwise, stand 30 or more feet away from a real airplane and the rivets and panel lines virtually disappear. The only time you really notice them is on areas where the paint has worn away and some oil/grime has built up.

Even then, only in the larger scales should you fool with them and then only sparingly. Too much rivet, panel or weathering detail can quickly overcome the overall presentation of the model.
  5. TableTopAirCrew

Thanks for the input. Interestingly enough in some of the photos I have of the Pawnee rivet detail can be picked out, others not so much. But it seems to be a function of indentation than just the rivet itself. In other words a sunken area bigger than the rivet head.

Thanks again,