A request:Design of a North Seas Trawler Replica

Eric Ferguson

Sep 13, 2005
Hello All, I have a friend who owns a Banjer 37 Motor-Sailer. It's a replica of an English, North Seas Trawler, built in the Netherlands, if memory serves. His particular boat actually survived a category 5 hurricane with no one aboad. Then when rescuers came, their boat broke down and Da Hine (it's name then) rescued the rescuers. My friend who is very tall, bought the boat, because one of the reasons is that he cane stand in the pilot house and salon without bumping his head. I;ve had the priveledge of going out on Rendezvous (it's name now) a number of times, and help work on the boat as projects and repairs come up.

Mike, who owns R (as we call her), has gotten a lot of people into bikes, recumbents, sea kayaking, and sailing/motoring on San Francisco bay. You can read some of his views here www.rendezvous-motorsailor.com/ . Sometime in the near future, he will be putting the marine surveyors pictures on the web. In the meantime I've got some of the original builders specs and pictures as well as some pix of R taken awhile back. I'll take some of R soon.

Now, comes the request. Understand someone here likes trawlers (Inky?). Would love to be able to give Mike a model of his boat as a thank you. Might even have him print the sheets (He's a printer by trade, how nironic!). Anybody game to giving a whirl to designing R in card?

Many Thanks for just reading all of this.

inky

Jun 24, 2011
Coast of S. Texas
I was walking by and heard some one mention my name.

This sounds like another fun adventure. If I had pics and such I could probably design it.

Eric Ferguson

Sep 13, 2005
Hello Inky, thought it might be you when I saw the thread on The Most Dangerous. Now all I have to do is figure out how to upload. R is about 35 miles from here and over the *roller coaster* bridge (Richmond-San Rafael.... another card project?). I'll drive over soon and get some pix, especially of R's stern with it's compass rose at an angle. THANKS for considering this. A word of caution, I've *neve* built a paper model in my life, but Mike has done so much for so many, it'll be worth a shot (or many LOL!!!).

Eric Ferguson

Sep 13, 2005
Here are some of Da Kine/Rendezvous. Also some from the manufacturer. Had to show the galley, and that contraption on the wall is the water heater. One of the repair projects. Ever try to find parts from 1972. Mike ended up cutting an old wetsuit to make some of thr gaskets.

Attachments

• 11b880b00.jpg
    11b880b00.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 11bdcd710.jpg
    11bdcd710.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 11c9fabc0.jpg
    11c9fabc0.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 126
  • 631127b0.jpg
    631127b0.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 119

Eric Ferguson

Sep 13, 2005
Just realized, that cutaway is not Mike's boat. He has no cabin aft/below of the pilot house. The galley picture did not come through when I looked. Will resend. Let's try these.

Attachments

• 124c95bb0.jpg
    124c95bb0.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 15
  • 12538d9a0.jpg
    12538d9a0.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 17
Z

Zathros

Might have to see if I could find a some hull formers, or lofting points. It would be easy to loft a hull like that in Rhino.

Eric Ferguson

Sep 13, 2005
Thank you Inky, Zathros and Cuthbert. Yesterday and today I was on Rendezvous. Got some interior pictures but no exteriors. Since he lives on R on weekends (and this week as he's on a mini-vacation) the boat was messy. He also found the wooden British call sign plaque that he's going to remount somewhere in the pilot house. We did a bunch of work on her. So next week I'm going to sneak over and get some exteriors, especially the sten markings. Today we remounted the Port/Starboard/Stern Running lights, *but* the stern is not exactly USCG legal. So he's bought a bigger and brighter stern light which will be mounted on the stern railing itself, not the starboard rear of the pilot house. He is alos going to mount the ships bell on the forward mast, hopefully this week. Either there or on the forward part of the pilot house. R is a work in progress. BTW, the bell is another USCG requirement to make the boat *legal*.

Z

Zathros

I can do the Hull and decking, cabin house, of this boat. Is there anyone else willing to come forward and help with the rest? :)

inky

Jun 24, 2011
Coast of S. Texas
I was going to do the whole thing for him John, design and build it. It would be nice if you could do those things and I could do the rest.

Z

Zathros

Inky, I use Rhino 4.0. What do you use and let's set a reference for the over all length. I can adjust everything with parametric scaling but it's nice to have someplace to start. Also, was this boat was fiberglass? I just makes a difference after lofting the hull. :)

p.s. looks like it was fiberglass, not sure.

Eric Ferguson

Sep 13, 2005
WOW!!!! Two of you desiging this boat! This is going to be AWESOME!!! The boat is made of fiberglass. I was surprised at that. Till recently, thought it was wood myself. I will PM both of you very soon. Been meaning to. Again, all I can say is a big THANKS. Forgot to mention earlier, that he has offered a group I'm with, voyages out on S.F. bay, 5 at a time. That came out of the blue. Normally it would be six, but I'm to go along each time as guest and crew. This will probably be in the spring. Made a big oops in taking the pix. Shot them at high resolution and each is quite large. Will go through, pick the best and reduce the size down to a more manageable size to send. Will send to both of you. Again THANKS!!!!

Eric Ferguson

Sep 13, 2005
An addendum. Hope this doesn't sound wrong. Will the plans be put up for downloading by others when the planning is finished? There were only 97 built and it wouldbe a hoot knowing that there might be more than that being built around the world. And I'd promise that one of those would be mine. Can't explain it, but just sleeping aboard, like Monday night, not leaving the dock at all, is so soothing. With my various infirmaries, Mike will not let me handle sail, but he has told me that I may be a better helmsman than he is. So I'm stuck in the pilot house LOL. Though I never had a lesson, taught him a lot about using radar. (Knew it in theory from high school/college electronics. *Never* actually thought I'd use it.) I seem to keep rambling on. Sorry if there's too much info.

inky

Jun 24, 2011
Coast of S. Texas
John,

All I have is Google Sketchup 8 and MS paint, can't afford Rhino 4.0. Just got Sketchup 8 last week and still don't know how to use it. I was going to do the boat about 14" long that way I could get some good detail into it. I was also going to mainly scratch build the whole thing and hand paint every thing. But if you are going to do the hull, decking and cabin house then I will build it different. The hull is were I was going to have the most trouble because I am not good at full hulls yet. You be the master on this and start the design and once you get it designed then I can come in and go off what you have, if that makes any since.

Z

Zathros

Let's decide on the distributorship and the likes in P.M.'s. It's the best way. If I stay up late tonight, I might have a Hull by the morning. Rigging and these types of things must be taken into consideration. I am leaning towards a commercial venture, but not at exorbitant prices, then again, maybe not, we'll talk in P.M.'s. :)

Z

Zathros

Did a preliminary Hull. Needs many control point adjustments, but the basic hull is there. I have found a lot more pictures and some kind of decision, soon, will have to be reached on this thing will be rigged and how the inside will look.

Attachments

• R1.jpg
    R1.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 11
Z

Zathros

I think this Hull will work better for the basis of the final hull.

Attachments

• R2.jpg
    R2.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 9
Z

Zathros

Those hull lines are the first step in making the shape. You will see it develop up. :)