A railroad on the dresser?

kf4jqd

Hello Everyone:

I am in the early stages of building a coffee table with an N scale railroad in it. I have been buying rolling stock and locomotives off of E Bay. Today, I finally bought some track at a local hobby store. I made a simple oval and it's on a dresser in the basement! I tested the locomotives and the rolling stock. Everything works just fine. Here are a couple of pictures.

Andy

Attachments

• dressertrain.jpg
    dressertrain.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 175

kf4jqd

2nd picture

Here is a close up. I can't imagine what Z scale is like! :eek: :p :eek: :D

Andy

Attachments

• nscaletabletrain2.jpg
    nscaletabletrain2.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 175

Tyson Rayles

Andy Z really isn't all that much smaller IMHO. While HO is about half O and N is about half HO, Z is 2/3's of N. The first time I saw some I was suprised by how big it was.

Drew1125

Hi Andy!
HO was what I started out with when I became "serious" model railroader.;)
N scale was something that I tinkered around with, & lo & behold, I've become completely addicted to it! The continuing improvements in the quality of products, & the scope of railroading that you can cram into these tiny spaces is just incredible!
I've gotten into it so much, that now when I see a piece of furniture like the one in your photo, I'm always contemplating what kind of RR I could build in that space...(btw...if you get rid of the TV, you could really do some expansion on that empire there! :D :D :D )
My latest project is a simple oval plan also...(see "Poor Fork Mining Co..." thread here in the N/Z forum)
The layout is only 32"x66", but through the use of some scenery & diorama techniques, I'm hoping to convey the impression of the Appalachians in autumn.
Good luck with that coffree table layout...you may find yourself hooked as well! :)