A radius Gauge

Discussion in 'Tips & Tricks' started by Chaparral, Mar 17, 2007.

1. Chaparral

Chaparral Member

Deleted by author

I got a couple 4 foot shelf brackets - the ones that you find inside bookcases, flat, about 1/2 to 3/4 wide with notches all the way up.
    I measured the diameter of various pails and buckets with a diameter close to what I wanted, but ended up using the diameter of the dryer door (24”). I drove a couple deck screws into my bench work to pry one end of the bracket into smooth 12 inch radius. You can use your hands if you’re strong enough. Keep checking against your chosen arc radius until you’re satisfied. I made a second jig with a 10 ½ inch radius for an inner track.

2. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

What was here?

I see there was just over 48 hours between posting and editing - you have to give some of us more time...! ;) :D

3. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

I agree with Andrew, especially in this forum. One should judge interest here by the number of reads, not the responses. A real pity if we were to miss out on a good idea because of this.
  4. YmeBP

YmeBP Member

I'm the "collection" phase of my railroad and would love to get info on a radius gauge... i didn't see your orginal post and i live on this board :) even at work!!

5. bigsteel

bigsteel Call me Mr.Tinkertrain

were fast but were not that fast,it could've just been a "slow" day.just repost and we will answer.--josh
  6. Chaparral

Chaparral Member

Raius Gauge

Forgot a photo.
    I used this same kind of jig to create curves and arches on cabinetry, mirror tops and furniture legs and once made a really big one from a 12 foot piece of re-bar to duplicate curves in a concrete walk.

Attached Files:

7. Mrplow123

Mrplow123 Member

That is a damn good idea. Have you tried it out and laid some track with it yet?
  8. Chaparral

Chaparral Member

I used two similar jigs on my first layout, the one where I was like the guy who built a canoe in his basement.

The 12 inch radius jig is in service now as in the photo.
    The photo shows the jig laying along a line at the edge of the foam with the top touching a point I will mark as the tangent point. All straight lines ( track ) will transition here.
  9. Kanawha

Kanawha Member

I've done the old string tied to a pencil method before. It works pretty well if you have someone to hold the fixed end down.
  10. Play-Doh

Play-Doh Member

I found this to be the easiest method.

I bought a metal yardstick...and drilled holes at the usual radius measurements of 18, 20, 22, and up the yardstick. The key was I drilled a whole at the 2" mark and drilled all the radius measurements at two inches past their original mark. So 18"=20", 22"=24 etc. The whole at the 2" mark gave me a "Anchor point" to place at the center of the circle.

But thats just what I do.