A quick question

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by Spartalee, Dec 10, 2006.

1. Spartalee

Spartalee Member

I have a train set that is O-27 I believe and it has 3 rails. well to me it doesent seem very realistic but I do like the size of these trains. is there a more realistic 3rd track desighn other than the standard metal one? also does anyone have pictures of their own or someone else's 3rd track set I would like to see if anyone has a 3rd rail set up that looks realistic. allso if you know a site with pictures of an 0-27 setup please post them. The reason why I ask is I want to be sure I want to expand my collection in this scale or if I should go to another scale?
  2. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

I can't help you with the 3rd rail. That's just the price you pay for O and O27 trains. There are a few O gauges out there that only have 2 rails but you have to have an engine designed for 2 rail O gauage. A regular 3 railer won't work on it.

As far as layouts go, chack out http://www.thortrains.com Dozens of layouts for all gauges and links to other train sites as well.
  3. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

there is some 3 rail track brands that have the center rail blacked out, so it dont stand out as much, i forget who makes it tho.
  4. Spartalee

Spartalee Member

awesome I will have to look for that.
  5. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

There are tons and tons of track types out there. Some Gargraves track has a blackened center rail. Atlas track and MTH Scaletrax are also worth checking out, as they look considerably more realistic than the traditional tubular.

Get yourself a copy of an issue each of O Gauge Railroading and Classic Toy Trains magazines, if you haven't already. A lot of larger bookstores carry both. Take a look at some of the layouts featured there and note the type of track they use. That'll give you a real quick idea what's possible.
  6. tracman165

tracman165 New Member

If I'm not mistaken, doesn't S run on two rail track and some older
    type model train makers, I'll have check one of my books, but if
    you decide to go that route be prepared to pay. For its quite
  7. Geno

Geno Member

You've entered the dark territory all scale 3-railers eventually come into- the 2-rail zone. Some 3-railers even stay there. Yes, all of their trains and track look much more realistic than ours, but they pay a price for it- body-monuted couplers and pilots, super wide radius curves, and more expensive prices for everything (engines, rolling stock, track). The big advantage to 2-rail is that it looks just like the real thing- the rail profile Atlas uses (code 148) is very close to scale and looks . Atlas O is prbably the biggest maker of 2-rail O gauge. You'll like what they make, but be prepared to pay for it.

If the sticker shock is too much, I recommend their 3-rail line of track. The third rail is still there, but the tie spacing and rail profile (code 172) looks good for its size and is more realistic than Lionel 027.

Atlas O recently introduced the Trainman line, a more affordable 2 and 3-rail line of engines and cars that are still scale.